Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbers earn as much as Doctors in USA in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

M

Mrs Tara Plumbi

Research in February showed that the average US plumber over his or her life time will earn almost as much as a doctor even though at the peak of their careers in a single year the DR will take home more than twice as much.
There are a variety of reasons mostly:
  • plumbers start earning high incomes while Doctors are still at school.
  • Doctors have big student debts to pay.
  • Doctors pay high tax on their high earnings based on one year instead of the lifetime.
It also showed both Dr and plumbers earn way more than teachers (no surprise).

Sorry if you are all aware of this, the research came out in February.

Of course plumbing is different in US and so is their tax and education system. Still interesting.
I wrote a bit more about it on my blog, with a link to the actual paper: Do Plumbers Earn More Than Teachers or Doctors or Cabbies? « Mrs Tara Plumbing

Yes its true, I was a leading eye consultant working on pioneering retena regeneration projects, the primary healthcare trust was only paying me £200k per anum, I was sick of being stuck inside saving peoples eyesight and as I was always good with my hands (I once stuck some peeling wall paper back on with some copydex) I parted with 8k for a 12week plumbing course, well that was 2wks ago and I havent looked back since, Iam now earning £300k per anum.

Aye, I was getting £55 a week whilst doing my apprenticeship, upto £90 by the end of the 4.5 years. Really gave me a headstart against the good doctors salary. :)

Yes its true, I was a leading eye consultant working on pioneering retena regeneration projects, the primary healthcare trust was only paying me £200k per anum, I was sick of being stuck inside saving peoples eyesight and as I was always good with my hands (I once stuck some peeling wall paper back on with some copydex) I parted with 8k for a 12week plumbing course, well that was 2wks ago and I havent looked back since, Iam now earning £300k per anum.

At least you have something to fall backon when the old knees give out. lol :) :) :) :)

I think the Dr didn't start earning a reasonable salary until about 30 years of age but has huge debt to pay off. How much has a plumber earned by the time he is 30. He has such a head start!

Obviously the report has been sponsored by some fast track company hoping to lure some more gullible recruits.
You can make numbers read anyway you like (just ask any accountant).
That must be why so many American doctors, like those elsewhere around the world are mainly living in 2 or 3 bed semis, driving battered transit vans and shopping in farmfoods! Not that i would personally know. I don't mix with the peasants.

I think the Dr didn't start earning a reasonable salary until about 30 years of age but has huge debt to pay off. How much has a plumber earned by the time he is 30. He has such a head start!

You call it a head start?!
If you are after lots of dosh – Why not to look into the trade of Ronnie Biggs?
Can we research that?

Average Plumber111 or senior Plumber salary in US = $50000 x 30yrs = $1.5 Million

Average salary for Doctor in the US $350,000 so if he trains and pays of debts and then works for less that 5 years he can retire knowing he has made more dosh than the plumber made in 30yrs

So is the point of this thread to encourage us to move to the states because if so I for one am up for it, especially with americas gun laws, I wonder if I would be allowed to shoot at me loveslaves there, obviously not to kill em but maybe just maim them a bit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always fancied a couple of rocket launchers and machine guns on the van to dislodge the caravans, horses and tractors. :)

Don't be silly simonG America gun laws don't allow rocket launchers that would be crazy only allowed up to a Barrett .50 lol
Google it lol

You can make one out of a 3" piece of scaffold pipe. Block up one end drill a fuse hole near the blocked end stuff a potato in the other end. Spray some kind of aerosol in the fuse hole set light and BOOM. It don' arf go some.

OK I see Simon G has watched too many Arnie films with possibly Commando being a favourite.
Kimou - spends too much time on Sky probably watching Scrap Heap challenge.
Me - my husband is out too much in the evenings (including tonight!)

ANd i love Arnie films might well make a night of it tonight with a few terminators as hubby will not be home unitl 2am!

The reasearch - I gave a few of the figures on my blog but I seem to remember it assumed they all retired at 62 and peak earning year was age 50 when Dr earned about $180k but plumbe only $70 but the net effect of debt, tax and years spend earning different salaries give final result of DRs & plumbers earning about the same. The research was by University professor and quite probably doesn't have any vested interest just seeking to understand society and social mobility, i think.

To be serious - I could imagine this is often true in this country too but NOT for all plumbers & not all Drs. Not all Drs earn the tops figures. And although some Drs appear to be very well off this is not always from their own income. There seems to be alot of handed down and inherited wealth. Dr often come from rich families.

Just to add a bit of perspective here,The starting salary for a trainee doctor is £22,00,after completing training then the figures can really rise.A consultants basic pay starts at £74,000 and the average for a GP is around £100,000. The comparison between a plumber and a doctor doesn't bear scrutiny,it's a higher profession and is rewarded accordingly.

Just to add a bit of perspective here,The starting salary for a trainee doctor is £22,00,after completing training then the figures can really rise.A consultants basic pay starts at £74,000 and the average for a GP is around £100,000. The comparison between a plumber and a doctor doesn't bear scrutiny,it's a higher profession and is rewarded accordingly.

A bit like when I did some work for the local working mens club, put an estimate in, did the work, put a bill in, the treasurer wanted to know before he paid my bill why my hourly rate was higher than the bloke working behind the bar!
Commen decency and site rules prevent me from airing my response. :)

Reply to Plumbers earn as much as Doctors in USA in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock