Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbers advice please in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi...I really could do with some advice from some plumbers please. I have had a company refit my bathroom and I’m questioning the quality of the work in fitting of the vanity unit and the toilet. (See pictures) . The company have responded to my questions but I’m not sure if they are giving me a true reply they said -
‘Whilst we always aim to place pipes behind the false back panel, however due to the positioning of the joists in order to have them running directly underneath it would have meant part removing part of the joist, compromising its structure.
The plumber who undertook the work made a decision to lose around 4 cm2 of space within the cupboard as opposed to either removing part of the joists or altering the pipework to suit which he thought could possibly cause complications. Whilst we agree it would look neater behind the false back panel, losing a small amount of space in a cupboard is a worthy compromise in comparison to the alternatives. I noticed a spacer had become loose on my last site visit, we’re willing to rectify the issue’
I don’t know enough about this to send a reply to this company and would appreciate some advice.
Thank you
Jayne
57EC52F9-AADD-4ACE-9DFA-C3C63CB4932C.jpeg
E58F41EB-35A1-4778-B9F6-D33501256814.png
00825CE0-8DA8-416D-BF12-2F575058FF6C.jpeg
7C2C6DEF-ACEA-4D7F-AA9F-D509004EF24F.jpeg
45534DBE-0019-4F1C-8E3E-E6F33C353707.jpeg
AD9240CD-0F8F-4134-8107-96A97F837441.jpeg
62E18F45-2C7D-4D45-BC5D-51BF2F4FA0A0.jpeg

If you wouldn’t mind how much roughly did you pay ?

Irrespective of the reasons given, the cut outs are too large and not cut / trimmed to a professional standard.

If nothing else, it gives a route into the cupboard for any exploratory vermin.

I would not accept it, as a minimum, I would want properly fitted and sealed plates over the open holes. That is a quick and simple fix - or indeed to put a second false floor over the existing cupboard floor with the cut outs in exactly the right place.

Sorry, but irrespective of price, the works should be completed to an acceptable standard.

Just looks like they threw it in at the end.
Copper onto plastic with double isolations.
Black waste into white waste.
Someone didn’t measure twice cut once for the pipe holes.

My guess would be the plumbing wasn't done by a plumber, more likely a kitchen/ bathroom fitter/ joiner, although if it was any of those they'd have made a better job of the holes.
They could have reasonably easilly offset the pipes behind the units, but that would have taken time and skill.

The W.C is a mess, there looks to be a gap straight down the back behind the pan.
A ring or other small item could roll off and drop down there never to be seen again, or mean the tiling would need to be removed to retrieve it.

Someone didn’t measure twice cut once for the pipe holes.

I think they measured from the wrong end when they cut the first hole and it just went downhill from there.

The excuse about the joist is a good one, they could have added 90's to offset the waste pipe behind the panel but that brings a higher risk of blockages so to be fair I don't blame them for bringing the pipes up where they did.
The cutting out is horrendous and I have no idea why they went from copper to ISO to plastic to ISO to tap tails.
The spacer they mentioned is a nut from a CC kit, if it was secure it'd do the job of spacing but why are the cistern and pan so far from the wall, it looks very rushed with a ''that'll do'' attitude.
If I ever find myself needing to use 'spacers' like that I'll talk to the customer and offer other solutions like a small bit of boxing at the back or even something like a painted piece of ply behind it, done well you'd hardly notice it. I'm guessing the toilet waste was either cut too long and the pan wouldn't reach the wall or it's in a position where even the shortest pan connector is stopping the wc from reaching the wall. Either way there are better solutions than the one pictured.

Is that a speed fit elbow poking its head out from under the floor?!!

Not an acceptable standard for me. Far from it.
I’m sorry I have no idea about plumbing, I’ve tried to get advice from local plumbers but they seem to get work from this company, so when they know the name of the company they are reluctant to make any formal comments 😔
[automerge]1582446838[/automerge]
Is that a speed fit elbow poking its head out from under the floor?!!

Not an acceptable standard for me. Far from it.
? What is a speed fit elbow? Is that not good?

Last edited:
Hope you haven't already paid in full. I'm with others re diy standard and easily rectified except maybe the tiles as that will take time. I wouldn't be happy either.

Hope you haven't already paid in full. I'm with others re diy standard and easily rectified except maybe the tiles as that will take time. I wouldn't be happy either.
Sorry to bother you, are you able to advise me on what they should do to rectify this work please?

If the standard we can see is so poor I shudder to speculate what the hidden work looks like. It is devaluing your home have it all taken out and done professionally. Cowboys...you can hear the spurs on the heels of their boots as they walk up your drive or did you get our old favourites ‘Bodge it and Fix it ‘. Centralheatking

Hi we have paid £6000
Wow it should look like a swiss watch for that , often plumbing can be a challenge but there are ways of overcoming problems without causing damage to the fabric of the building and furniture, i recently completed this one the vanity unit and basin was a challenge to fit around the pipework but removing the back of the unit and refitting it later worked out well, your install looks shoddy but ive seen far worse . Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200223-105402_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20200223-105402_WhatsApp.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 15
Whats holding the cistern and pan together if the cc nuts are behind the cistern...

I’m sorry I have no idea about plumbing, I’ve tried to get advice from local plumbers but they seem to get work from this company, so when they know the name of the company they are reluctant to make any formal comments 😔
[automerge]1582446838[/automerge]

Tiled floor, I would want copper underneath.

You need to write to the contractor and give them 7 days to correct the works or you will employ a competent contractor to undertake remedial works which will be charged to them.

Then you need to find somebody who will do it.

The people you have spoken to probably just dont want to get involved. If a company was turning out stuff like that then a good tradesman wouldn't want to be associated with them.

A John Guest Speedfit elbow is not of itself a bad fitting at all. In my experience they are actually very reliable apart from against rodents but that goes for any plastic plumbing. Generally we try not to hide things like pushfit fittings where we can't get to them easily in future. If they were coming from plastic pipe under the floor they had a limited choice of how to join on so the Speedfit is not an egregious mistake especially depending upon the circumstances I can't see under the floor. It would be nice to have access to it if it caused a problem in future though but again, that's not the main issue as they are reliable fittings.

All of this stuff can be put right so don't panic although I appreciate it is frustrating to have people need a second go at a job, especially when not happy with the workmanship the first time.

I am not in the UK so I can't advise on what steps to take first in getting it rectified. Making a list of the defects and documenting it well with photographs is the very first step though.

I hope one of the good folk here can advise on the correct steps to take from here. Edit to add - I see SimonG has given advice.

Have you already paid..deposit, interim, full by cash cheque or card ? Centralheatking
Paid them deposit of £6000 with visa debit card for main bathroom, clock room and a new shower screen and shower in en-suite. We have stopped them doing the other rooms and asked them for an amended quote but they are avoiding sending me one

You can answer this if you want you don’t have too was it a company beginning with i?

Paid them deposit of £6000 with visa debit card for main bathroom, clock room and a new shower screen and shower in en-suite. We have stopped them doing the other rooms and asked them for an amended quote but they are avoiding sending me one
Advise them that you will pay nothing at all yet pending outcome of a survey. Advise your visa of the situation they may reimburse you under the cover on these cards. I might well be that £6000 might be required to make good the poor workmanship and damage etc. I am a heating engineer my Mrs is a barrister so these things come naturally. Do not take this lying down Centralheatking

No ‘W”. They tell me their not members of a trade association or an ADR schemes, do you know how I could find this out?

for bathrooms tbh it’s unregulated best person to contact is trading standards only people with any backing

Advise them that you will pay nothing at all yet pending outcome of a survey. Advise your visa of the situation they may reimburse you under the cover on these cards. I might well be that £6000 might be required to make good the poor workmanship and damage etc. I am a heating engineer my Mrs is a barrister so these things come naturally. Do not take this lying down Centralheatking
Oh thanks you for advice, I’ll contact bank tomorrow. How do I go about arranging a survey? I’ve asked local plumbers, and when I tell them why I want them to visit they don’t want to get involved
[automerge]1582484798[/automerge]
for bathrooms tbh it’s unregulated best person to contact is trading standards only people with any backing
I see you’re local to me, would you be able to visit to give me a quote on putting this right?

Oh thanks you for advice, I’ll contact bank tomorrow. How do I go about arranging a survey? I’ve asked local plumbers, and when I tell them why I want them to visit they don’t want to get involved
[automerge]1582484798[/automerge]

I see you’re local to me, would you be able to visit to give me a quote on putting this right?
What I suggest is a list of defects with supporting evidence, then you must give the naughty fitter opportunity to make ammends (they rarely do) then start looking for a new outfit. A call to trading standards would not be a waste of time. Centralheatking

Reply to Plumbers advice please in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock