From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Plumber has caused leaks throughout the house in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Stigster

Stigster

Esteemed
Plumber
Thank you Darren for you very detailed reply. And to all the replies I've had on here. I'm glad I've posted on here, didn't know whether I'd get completely shot down on. I've got some really consistent replies. Which is great. Thank you again
As has been properly pointed out here, there have been easily identifiable and preventable mistakes made by the plumber.

Just to recap -

He left the filling loop hose connected.

He left the bleed valves on the rads open.

He didn't cap off the radiator valves which is no different to leaving open ends. It doesn't matter they have valves, you still blank off a valve wherever you have one with one side not connected to anything. The only exception to that would be the old Type-B drain cock with the hose connection on but that's not what leaked in your house.

OP
R

Reading1986

As has been properly pointed out here, there have been easily identifiable and preventable mistakes made by the plumber.

Just to recap -

He left the filling loop hose connected.

He left the bleed valves on the rads open.

He didn't cap off the radiator valves which is no different to leaving open ends. It doesn't matter they have valves, you still blank off a valve wherever you have one with one side not connected to anything. The only exception to that would be the old Type-B drain cock with the hose connection on but that's not what leaked in your house.
Thank you very much Stigster, this all points out that he didn't make the correct precautions, especially as we was leaving the house like that to come back the next day

SimonG

SimonG

Plumber
House unoccupied?

Let's look at it slightly differently.

Plumber goes in, drains down (did he drain the system or just the roads he took off?).
Let's say he drained down.
Took of x number of rads, didn't cap valves as system drained.
Yes filling loop still attached, yet who can say that they don't see this more than 95% of the time. Plus is it a separate filling loop or built into boiler like a worcester?

Third party working in property, ooh it's a bit nippy in here, I will shot the heating on. Oops, no pressure, never mind it's just like mine at home, I'll stick some water in it.

Splash.

Just trying to play devils advocate and always 2 sides to a story.

OP
R

Reading1986

House unoccupied?

Let's look at it slightly differently.

Plumber goes in, drains down (did he drain the system or just the roads he took off?).
Let's say he drained down.
Took of x number of rads, didn't cap valves as system drained.
Yes filling loop still attached, yet who can say that they don't see this more than 95% of the time. Plus is it a separate filling loop or built into boiler like a worcester?

Third party working in property, ooh it's a bit nippy in here, I will shot the heating on. Oops, no pressure, never mind it's just like mine at home, I'll stick some water in it.

Splash.

Just trying to play devils advocate and always 2 sides to a story.
The house isn't unoccupied, I wasnt due to stay there that night any way

The filling loop is a separate one not built-in to the boiler. The filling is just above the cylinder.
No else touched the heating system apart from him. Yes I had the kitchen tillers in but they left at 4pm and the plumber came back just after they had left ( second visit) for the first reported leak.

Gasmk1

Gasmk1

Gas Engineer
No else touched the heating system apart from him. Yes I had the kitchen tillers in but they left at 4pm and the plumber came back just after they had left ( second visit) for the first reported leak. not saying not his fault but could tilers have tried to fill it as they wanted a bit of heat.

OP
R

Reading1986

No else touched the heating system apart from him. Yes I had the kitchen tillers in but they left at 4pm and the plumber came back just after they had left ( second visit) for the first reported leak. not saying not his fault but could tilers have tried to fill it as they wanted a bit of heat.
No not a all as I have nest and all the heating electrics we're off. But surely he should have capped trv ends and capped the filling loop. When he came back at 4pm and he was the only one on the house surely then he should of realized the issues. And then definitely capped off to ensure no further leaking?

SJB060685

SJB060685

He didn’t close the bleed valves didn’t disconnect the filling loop and left open ends that’s 3 mistakes. You should be asking for he’s insurance details
I'm willing to bet if hes that careless on the job he probably doesn't have insurance

SimonG

SimonG

Plumber
Like I said only playing devils advocate. Hope you get it sorted.

Darren Jackson

Darren Jackson

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Agreed there are always 2 sides to a story!
But at the end of the day, the op hired a professional. Who's job is to anticipate the possible interference from a third party, be it another trade person, a tenant, a minor or home owner that does not realise or know not to top up the pressure. A true professional would have made a quick risk assessment and eliminated the possibility of this happening with just a few good practice measures which lets face it, should always be carried out regardless of the property being occupied or not just to protect the property, decoration & contents. In my mind the plumber is guilty of negligence and needs to be brought to justice. Not try to blame a faulty filling loop and try to make more money out of it. Because even if the valves were faulty (which I don't believe) but given the benefit of the doubt, he still should have followed simple procedure and the flooding would not have happened faulty valves or not.

OP
R

Reading1986

Agreed there are always 2 sides to a story!
But at the end of the day, the op hired a professional. Who's job is to anticipate the possible interference from a third party, be it another trade person, a tenant, a minor or home owner that does not realise or know not to top up the pressure. A true professional would have made a quick risk assessment and eliminated the possibility of this happening with just a few good practice measures which lets face it, should always be carried out regardless of the property being occupied or not just to protect the property, decoration & contents. In my mind the plumber is guilty of negligence and needs to be brought to justice. Not try to blame a faulty filling loop and try to make more money out of it. Because even if the valves were faulty (which I don't believe) but given the benefit of the doubt, he still should have followed simple procedure and the flooding would not have happened faulty valves or not.
Couldn't agree any more. I still have water dripping out of trvs. When he came back the next day which I think I said he did. He capped off both ends of the filling loop. But obviously the damage was already caused. So he did the right thing at the wrong time. Unfortunately Im now left with lots of damage, a big insurance claim. Dripping trvs and a plumber demanding £250 for a days wage. Also to add insult he only done 4 hours. £250 for 4 hours. That's from the time he pulled up to the time he pulled off the drive way. Insurance company sent out a company to start the drying process. I've got these great big dryer's in the house....there pretty cool. So far the insurance process has been relatively straightforward. The only thing they have said which I worried about is that the lose adjuster may consider the damage to each rooms as individual insurance claims. I.e 5 rooms damaged = 5 X £380 insurance excess.

king of pipes

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Always two sides to a story but open ends needed capping if this had been done the passing filling loop would not have caused the problem and as the others have stated in a ideal world it also should be disconnected and capped, I feel for you here it doesn't take much to ruin your home surfaces and decor but I doubt he will admit liability seems a bit unprofessional but plenty of them out there we all get leaks from time to time it's a hazard of the job but you need to bend over backwards to rectify the issue and treat the customer and their property with respect hope it all gets resolved Regards Kop.

scott_d

scott_d

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Why don’t ask your insurance provider what they recommend about paying the plumber and getting his insurance details etc?

Reply to Plumber has caused leaks throughout the house in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Most Viewed Threads