Search the forum,

Discuss Plumber fixed an issue but created another in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

J

Johnny000

Hi all. Apologies if this is not the right forum to post my question.

I recently purchased a house which had water leaking from the shower tray into the room below. It wasn't too bad but I could see the water marks in the ceiling. Since I'm not from the area, I got a few plumber recommendations from the local Facebook group. Anyway, the plumber came over and diagnosed that the issue was with the waste pipe - basically he had to cut a hole in the ceiling to be able to replace it. I had to wait until the day after to test the shower as the new seal had to be dry. This is when I noticed that the shower tray was getting flooded a few seconds after turning on the shower. By the way, this wasn't an issue before the new waste pipe was fitted.

I sent him a message and he came to check the problem. He told me it was a blockage in the flexible waste pipe - he tried using a powerful vacuum/blower and a plunger but neither fixed the problem. He then said I'd need to use a pipe unblocker fluid which I bought off Amazon (HG Drain and Plug Unblocker). I ended up using a whole bottle, leaving it overnight and it did not work at all.

I've messaged him again and he's still adamant that the blockage is in the ridges of the flexible waste but it's hard to understand why if it wasn't there before. He's now become difficult to contact and says he will come back to check it out once he 'has spare time to get down' and not providing a specific date.

I'm just looking for advice on what to do next, please. I'm obviously not a plumber so I can't tell if he did something wrong or not but the fact is that I still don't have a working shower. I can't shake the feeling that the plumber must have done something wrong when installing the waste pipe which is why the water is no longer draining as it was before. The baths drains less than a meter from the shower tray and it works just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Flexi on a waste nope remove and re do

so the blockage could be at any point along the pipe or even outside the property.
I'd go with it being hair as its a shower. The caustic soda they sell as drain cleaner is never going to shift hair, that needs a spiral wire that can actually trap the hair to remove it.
When I say outside the property, I refer to a blockage at the boss connection (junction of the waste pipe to the soil pipe) where the hair is trapped over the lip.
The fact that you also have a leak suggests a secondary issue, most likely a joint in the pipe rather that the waste outlet on the shower tray.
A sealed pipe would simply fail to drain away if it were blocked and remain in the shower tray so the leak is a joint failure

so the blockage could be at any point along the pipe or even outside the property.
I'd go with it being hair as its a shower. The caustic soda they sell as drain cleaner is never going to shift hair, that needs a spiral wire that can actually trap the hair to remove it.
When I say outside the property, I refer to a blockage at the boss connection (junction of the waste pipe to the soil pipe) where the hair is trapped over the lip.
The fact that you also have a leak suggests a secondary issue, most likely a joint in the pipe rather that the waste outlet on the shower tray.
A sealed pipe would simply fail to drain away if it were blocked and remain in the shower tray so the leak is a joint failure
Please re read the first post before jumping in with your size ten`s.

Btw im not sure why he asked for you to leave the shower for 24 hours, the solvent weld glue that is used on wastepipe cures in about 10 seconds, really need to work fast with it otherwise you are screwed haha so on this basis i would be tempted to say that the guy isnt all that clued up

Btw im not sure why he asked for you to leave the shower for 24 hours, the solvent weld glue that is used on wastepipe cures in about 10 seconds, really need to work fast with it otherwise you are screwed haha so on this basis i would be tempted to say that the guy isnt all that clued up
Don’t you mean all that glued up? 😂😂😂😂. Yes I’m an idiot 😉

Reply to Plumber fixed an issue but created another in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a leak from my shower, it's coming down into my kitchen. I've had the sealant, waste pipe and tray all checked. I've also had the shower controls checked. Weird thing is the shower leak only happens when there's weight on the shower tray. The shower tray doesn't flex in any way, which is...
Replies
Views
Hello all I have had an extension built which will have 3 radiators to the big main room, a utility sink and a shower room (ground works, waste, and pipes etc are in) The builder is not installing the sanitary ware as I will have to save up in order to fit the shower room in a few years time...
Replies
Views
Hi, As per title we have a regular smell from the shower trap. Clean the trap twice a week, had a cleaning rod down the shower waste pipe and no blockage. Used several different drain cleaners over time but smell returns (not always but often enough to be annoying). Seems to coincide with...
Replies
Views
I recently had a plumber come over to look at a badly leaking shower head. As best I can recall, he described the problem as a crack in the bridge of the cold water pipe and explained that there were two options: 1. Get into the wall with a jackhammer to fix the problem; or 2. Install one of...
Replies
Views
Had the plumber replace the pipes less than 2 month from the sink that lead into a cast iron pipe. They also unblocked gunk from the start of the cast iron pipe. The gunk is in the photo I've attached. The pipe work is also attached(it's disconnected as we cleared the u bend to clear it out)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock