Search the forum,

Discuss Plugging A Disused Drain Inlet Chamber in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

In trying to locate a foul smell coming from the property, we lifted manhole cover up, camera down each of the offshoots and seen one of them is not only disused but openly runs directly into the cavity beneath the suspended floor on the ground level. It's the one circled in red in the image below.

Naturally we want to get it plugged asap. I guess I need one of the things that are circled in blue in the image below. What are they called please?

drain.JPG

I went and purchased a 110mm socket plug pictured below, but it was too big.

145022248_128075209176805_3046681146197484869_n.jpg

thanks,

P

You need a inspection chamber blanking plug ideally one made by manufacturer of chamber hopefully name on lid?
Look up polypipe ug445 that's type of thing you need.

One of these is often used. It'll do the trick and guaranteed to fit.

Although they can be subject to rat attack.
But it doesn't sound like you're in a very ratty area or they be streaming out of the broken pipe into your cavity!
Have you worked out how it happened?

Although they can be subject to rat attack.
But it doesn't sound like you're in a very ratty area or they be streaming out of the broken pipe into your cavity!
Have you worked out how it happened?
Yes, it ran to a previous bathroom that's no longer there. and now just ran straight into the cavity.

I'd bought a drain bung a month ago and actually forgot to reply to this thread. That got plugged then but the smell continued.

RE: the comment about rats. I went beneath the suspended floor this weekend and found two dead rats. We placed poison down there last month so assume related. They were "fresh" enough to have stank to high heaven....and the smell appeared to be oozing from their corpses up through the holes in the ground floor bathroom floor where the main inlets come into the property. Since the corpses have been removed the smell downstairs has gone. and FINGERS crossed it was the disused drain they were getting in from.

We've an acre garden to the rear with lots of trees and what have you. Lots of squirrels too. So I dont think you're a million miles away with the comment regarding rodents.

How the previous owner couldn't have noticed this, has left me hugely shaking my head.

All's well that ends well, I've heard.
Yes and no, im about to make a new thread regarding an unrelated really bad smell coming from the upstairs master bathroom and en-suite. It'd be great to hear your input on the issue im having with those.

thanks for your help so far.

Reply to Plugging A Disused Drain Inlet Chamber in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock