Search the forum,

Discuss ***Please help!!!***thermo static shower cabin water going cold in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone...hoping someone can help with the ongoing issue.

long story short, shower (non electric thermostatic shower) was going cold intermittently.

shower replaced, issue still occured.

boiler serviced (Worcester bosch green star 28i junior) heat exchange plate replaced by bosch engineer, issue still occured.

engineer said that what is happening is the boiler is heating up the water but the flow is not quick enough so the water is backing up causing the boiler to cut out, hence the water going cold...once the boiler regulated the water goes hot again.

can some please advise on how to rectify this problem as weve spent quite a bit of money and are no further along.

boiler is situated in the loft...if we got pipework directly from the boiler to the shower could this resolve the issue?

or do we need a pump to push water through faster?

or is it something else?

the shower model is attached to show you...thank you in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190901-223013_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190901-223013_eBay.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Pump or direct pipeing wont help my guess there’s flow restrictors in the shower limiting flow

Pump or direct pipeing wont help my guess there’s flow restrictors in the shower limiting flow
thanks for your reply...as I'm not a plumber or even a DIYer...it was the same on the old shower too but only started happening after say 5 years of having it (which is why we thought the shower needed replacing). is ther anything we can do to get the shower to stay warm?

thanks for your reply...as I'm not a plumber or even a DIYer...it was the same on the old shower too but only started happening after say 5 years of having it (which is why we thought the shower needed replacing). is ther anything we can do to get the shower to stay warm?

Do you know if there’s any filters in the pod system should be in the manual etc ?

doesn't state anything about filters in the manual, but then it is only a assembly manual that what with it so not very detailed.

TBH there’s only one way your going to be able to tell

Need to test the feeds to the shower pod (normally on flexis) into a bucket of temp says hot move to the next component and start stripping it

TBH there’s only one way your going to be able to tell

Need to test the feeds to the shower pod (normally on flexis) into a bucket of temp says hot move to the next component and start stripping it
okay that makes sense to test the feeds separately! thanks didnt even occur to do that so thanks for your help...so if it does stay hot in this test and we open up the pods panel...what are we looking for, would you know by any chance?

okay that makes sense to test the feeds separately! thanks didnt even occur to do that so thanks for your help...so if it does stay hot in this test and we open up the pods panel...what are we looking for, would you know by any chance?

TBH no depends on how well the pod was made normally a brass block with a load of flexis if it’s cheaply done or hose pipe :D

TBH no depends on how well the pod was made normally a brass block with a load of flexis if it’s cheaply done or hose pipe :D
it's also going cold on the mixer tap in the bathroom (same bathroom) does that change anything...and again this hasn't always done it only been over the last year same as the shower...both were working great before, that's why it's so confusing as they both worked fine once it's just frustrating it's not now and we cant seem to troubleshoot the issue

Anything been done in the bathroom in the time since ?

Are there isolators on the basin tap ?

Run shower or bathroom mixer from cold (no use of boiler at all), go to boiler and check the left hand heating pipe, if it’s getting hot you have an issue. Also could be other boiler related issues.

no the kitchen tap stayed hot (the kitchen tap not a mixer)
[automerge]1567375747[/automerge]

no other outlets
oh and forgot to mention the previous shower was a different make and model :D
[automerge]1567376121[/automerge]
Run shower or bathroom mixer from cold (no use of boiler at all), go to boiler and check the left hand heating pipe, if it’s getting hot you have an issue. Also could be other boiler related issues.
ok thank you...will do that...I felt a pipe warm the other day when heating was off and no water was being used at the time...what would the issue be if the pipe is hot after this test do you know?:)
[automerge]1567376227[/automerge]

ok thank you...will do that...I felt a pipe warm the other day when heating was off and no water was being used at the time...what would the issue be if the pipe is hot after this test do you know?:)
the bosch engineer said there was nothing wrong with the boiler...he said the problem was external e.g. pipes or taps or other??? god knows to be honest :rolleyes:
[automerge]1567376331[/automerge]
Are there isolators on the basin tap ?
dont know to be truthful...should there be?

Last edited:

I do know what the issue would be, but because of forum rules I’m not at liberty to say.

the bosch engineer said there was nothing wrong with the boiler...he said the problem was external e.g. pipes or taps or other??? god knows to be honest :rolleyes:
[automerge]1567376331[/automerge]

dont know to be truthful...should there be?

Might be might not

Try cbs test first

I do know what the issue would be, but because of forum rules I’m not at liberty to say.
oh apologies...didnt realise I was breaking rules by asking...I've just got to the end of my tether...had multiple people out at high cost and was just hoping to get help...thanks for trying suppose I'll just have to keep paying people in the hope that someone will actually fix the problem for me...sorry again...uneducated woman in plumbing so just feel like I'm being past from pillar to post...but thanks again!

I understand your frustration, and you may be uneducated, but some people are have a go’s and may take on board what is said (being an open forum) and attempt the repair. It’s not strictly breaking the rules for asking, just any gas related advice is against forum rules. Try the little test I’ve suggested and maybe you can mention this to Bosch or any other engineer? Maybe you could give a location and maybe an engineer from here is able to fix it?

I understand your frustration, and you may be uneducated, but some people are have a go’s and may take on board what is said (being an open forum) and attempt the repair. It’s not strictly breaking the rules for asking, just any gas related advice is against forum rules. Try the little test I’ve suggested and maybe you can mention this to Bosch or any other engineer? Maybe you could give a location and maybe an engineer from here is able to fix it?
thanks...the bosch engineer did a flow test is this different to the CBS test? he just said the boiler is perfect and theres nothing more he can do...
[automerge]1567377807[/automerge]
thanks...the bosch engineer did a flow test is this different to the CBS test? he just said the boiler is perfect and theres nothing more he can do...
he said we need a plumber now...as hes is boiler only

Could be the shower itself, when using the shower, slightly open the cold tap on the basin. You have a combi so although it's mains fed, the hot and cold supplies aren't balanced. Depending on your inlet pressure and the shower, the differnece in pressure may be too much for the shower to maintain its temperature.

[automerge]1567377807[/automerge]

he said we need a plumber now...as hes is boiler only
it was also serviced a week before the Bosch engineer came out and no problems were highlighted...I just want a warm shower

The flow test could just be a litres per minute test, which is different to the one I suggested. I would say it’s either bathroom or boiler related - employ someone who does both perhaps? Servicing may not necessarily pick up a fault.

Could be the shower itself, when using the shower, slightly open the cold tap on the basin. You have a combi so although it's mains fed, the hot and cold supplies aren't balanced. Depending on your inlet pressure and the shower, the differnece in pressure may be too much for the shower to maintain its temperature.
this is the 2nd shower cabin and its similar to the 1st and the 1st shower worked fine for about 7 years before this problem started you see and that's why i thought that the 1st shower was broken so had a new one installed...just cant get my head around how it used to work fine and now it doesn't the engineer said that the hot water is causing the boiler to cut out because the flow isnt going from the boiler quick enough...but he couldn't tell me what to do to fix that
[automerge]1567378464[/automerge]
The flow test could just be a litres per minute test, which is different to the one I suggested. I would say it’s either bathroom or boiler related - employ someone who does both perhaps? Servicing may not necessarily pick up a fault.
hopefully got a plumber and heating engineer coming on Tuesday ...just hope it's not yet another wasted expense...but thanks for your help! its greatly appreciated
[automerge]1567379226[/automerge]
this is the 2nd shower cabin and its similar to the 1st and the 1st shower worked fine for about 7 years before this problem started you see and that's why i thought that the 1st shower was broken so had a new one installed...just cant get my head around how it used to work fine and now it doesn't the engineer said that the hot water is causing the boiler to cut out because the flow isnt going from the boiler quick enough...but he couldn't tell me what to do to fix that
[automerge]1567378464[/automerge]

hopefully got a plumber and heating engineer coming on Tuesday ...just hope it's not yet another wasted expense...but thanks for your help! its greatly appreciated
sorry last question...the kitchen sink tap has signs of wear and it takes a lot to turn off hot tap fully...could things like this affect this?
[automerge]1567379316[/automerge]
thanks I will try that tomorrow!

Last edited:
not sure if the people who tried to help will still see this but I just thought I'd update you on my progress. so basically today I took the shower head off the hand held shower hose and ran it on hot straight from the hose in the shower itself. good news it stayed hot...so went out and purchased a different shower head that was a non eco version, and a wider shower hose pipe...connected them both and hey presto had a 45 minute shower that stayed warm for the first time in over a year!!! I'm just praying it's not a fluke and it stays like this.

Reply to ***Please help!!!***thermo static shower cabin water going cold in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a pumped shower with a thermostatically controlled mixer valve. My wife complains that when she is having a long shower (hair wash etc) the shower runs at the right temperature for much of the time but suddenly changes to run cold, usually during the hair rinse time, for no apparent...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I had a wet room fitted just over a year ago using a local authority grant. Builder was employed by local authority. I had no say in who carried out the work. I have called the builder out under the guarantee several times for water leaks. The shower...
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
Can anyone help me with an ongoing issue I've had since I had an annual service on my combi boiler, which is a Potterton Performa 24. Literally after they left I started experiencing yellow water (pale) from all my taps - hot and cold, including the toilet. This was intermittent and then...
Replies
Views
Hello all, So been having somewhat of a time with my Aqualisa Quartz 9.5 electric shower. A few.month ago I put up with a few problems it was having and in the end I replaced everything, new engine and new front cover . This was working great for a month or so, but now noticed an intermittent...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock