Search the forum,

Discuss Please help me understand my airing cupboard! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klaise

Good afternoon all

Would anyone be able to help a novice (me!) identify what all the plumbing in my airing cupboard is doing?!

I have a fair idea and have edited the photos below to try and help me understand.
boiler 2.jpg

A - Cold water feed to the water tank in the loft - 15mm
B - Vent for hot water - 22mm
C - Vent for heating - 22mm
D - Cold water feed to the central heating tank in the loft - 15mm
E - Help? Direction and purpose?
F - Help? Direction and purpose?
G - Help? Direction and purpose?
H - Help? Direction and purpose?

boiler 1.jpg

On the left hand side (out of shot) there is the 22mm pipe coming from the bottom of the hot water tank in the loft. This disappears behind this tank in the cupboard, where does this go?

Thanks for any help in advance!

E - cylinder flow
F - heating flow
G - boiler flow
H - cylinder return

And the 22mm pipe would more than likely be a cold to your bathroom.

Amendment to "D"

D - Cold water feed FROM the central heating tank in the loft FOR THE HEATING- 15mm

Also
"On the left hand side (out of shot) there is the 22mm pipe coming from the bottom of the hot water tank in the loft. This disappears behind this tank in the cupboard, where does this go?"

Cold feed to Hot Water cylinder, may have a gate valve on it in the cupboard to isolate Hot water.

Last edited:
Thanks to you both.
Snowhead: Yes my mistake, thanks.
AWD: Would you mind explaining directional flow?

Many thanks

E is coming from the boiler through the pump and 3 port valve into the cylinder coil.
F is going into the heating circuit (radiators)
G is the flow from the boiler going to the cylinder coil
H is returning back to the boiler to be reheated

Last edited by a moderator:
And the 22mm pipe would more than likely be a cold to your bathroom.

Forget this post , as snowhead said it would be feed to cylinder was having a moment and forgetting it's handy to be able to fill a cylinder lol

Ah ok. So..

...the boiler heats the water and it travels through G, through the pump and diverted to the right through F for central heating. If there is too much heated water it is vented through C into a separate expansion in the loft.

...the boiler heats the water and it travels through G, through the pump and diverted to the left through E and into the tank which houses a cylinder coil. This coil heats the water in the tank and returns out of H to the boiler to recycle. The water in the tank is fed from the loft expansion tank, this is heated by the coil and is the draw through the top of the tank, through E and down into the bathroom.
boiler 3.jpg
This is the pipework coming into the bathroom under the bath.
There is 2 large pipe that just go along the width of the room and down, these must be to and from the boiler - G or H.
F leads to a radiator and through the rest of the circuit
E is the hot water tap and the cold mains.
boiler 4.jpg
boiler 5.jpg

Right here we go...
Hot water from the boiler flows through (G). Before it goes through the pump it is met by the heating open vent (c) and the cold feed to the heating system (d). It then travels through the pump and the 3 port valve. Depending on whats required by the cylinder thermostat or the customer heating controls it will either divert to the cylinder coil to heat the hot water stored (e) or to the heating (f). It can also do both if required. Then returns to the boiler to be reheated also picking up the return from the heating circuit (h). The hot water cylinder is fed by the large storage cistern in your loft through the pipe at the back. It is then heated by convection by the coil inside and comes out the top of the cylinder (b) the same pipe also goes into the loft space to the open vent over the large cold water storage cistern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to all responders. nice to see people being helpful, without taking the P or telling OP to call a plumber.

Congratulations to all responders. nice to see people being helpful, without taking the P or telling OP to call a plumber.

It was a good Original Post.

Asking for help, declaring little knowledge of the subject.
Providing clear pictures
Asking for specific information.

Not the usual,, I've got no hot water, what's wrong.
Followed by sporadic bits of unhelpful information, despite pleas for pictures, till eventually the true story comes out.

It happens more often than you imply! As snowhead said, asking the right question and posting photos helps a lot!

It's what a forum is all about, you explain your issue fully and you will get the help and hopefully the answer you require.

Last edited:
Ha! Not the follow on responses I was expecting!
Couldn't have asked for more help really (well, unless you can give advice about fitting a digital shower with my set up!!!! :cyclist: :49:)

Thanks for all the help, very appreciated - I have learned a thing or two!

Klaise

As the guys have said, sometimes we're expected to have a crystal ball to try and answer an original post. And more often than not we can gauge very quickly that an op might be about to get out of their depth, hence the advice to get someone in.

Plus there's legislative reasons which will give insurance companies acres of wriggle room.

This op was particularly concise and honest.

Thank you Klaise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please help me understand my airing cupboard! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
The pipework around the hot water tank in the airing cupboard has developed several leaks after a chemical flush. It's an open vented system. Any ideas on controlling or fixing the leak? Should I turn off the red valve (pic 1) that has a leak next to it and rundown the hot water? Pic 2 a...
Replies
Views
Hello, I've just found this forum and wondering if anyone can please help us. We've not long moved into our new home. It's has Johnson and Starley warm air heating and hot water tank in airing cupboard. All has been working fine until yesterday. We had the water softener serviced and since then...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them? They are the pipes that feed water back into the top of the tanks when there is excess, presumably from steam, expansion, etc. The one going to the cold...
Replies
Views
Hi. Please can anyone help. My mum has just sent me this video of her airing cupboard. She had put the imersion heater on to warm the water for a shower when she noticed this horrendous noise. Can anybody shed any light on it ? She has BG cover but before calling them I thought I’d post here...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock