Search the forum,

Discuss Please help me diagnose these drips and condensating pipes! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

Complete novice here. I have water droplets leaking from the ceiling in both of my flat's bedrooms. It's coming from the exact same spot in both bedrooms, which is in the gap below where I believe the heating/air-circulation systems are located in the ceiling of each room (see pics below, the water is dripping from the black circled areas).

We do not have radiators, only fan heating from the ceiling vents which also has a "comfort cool" fan setting. The water is leaking whether or not the system is turned on in the room.

IMG-3318-1.jpg

IMG-3319-1.jpg

In the utility cupboard, some of the pipes are condensating so badly that huge puddles are forming. The floor feels so cold and some of the pipes are almost freezing cold to touch. I've put a picture below; the pipe above the towel is the worst offender.

IMG-3322.jpg

IMG-3321.jpg

IMG-3320.jpg

Anyone have any tips or suggestions as to what this could be? Is it just a case of needing to insulate these pipes?

Thank you so much for any advice.

Open the access hatches in the roof

As for the drips is it running from further up ?

Thanks. I opened the access hatch in one of the rooms. The drip is coming from the copper pipes above this plastic pipe. They are really cold so presumably that is why they are sweating.

IMG-3326.jpg

IMG-3323.jpg

IMG-3324.jpg

Last edited:
So, to try summarise my whole issue, it seems that suddenly my copper cold water pipes are running with much colder water than usual and that, coupled with the warm weather, is causing all these drips? Do I just need to insulate them better?

Shall I try wrapping them in this?

Last edited:
I haven't any experience with that particular type of insulation but yes, anything that will adequately insulate the pipework will dramatically cut down on the condensation. I just did a cylinder cupboard the other day because of this same problem. I just used standard 13mm tubular pipe lagging and it did solve the problem. These cylinders were in an enclosed cupboard so I also got the chippy to add a vent top and bottom of the cupboard doors to improve circulation which I believe also helped.

Hopefully someone knows the lagging you linked to and will be able to say if it's any good or not if that's what you want to use.

It looks to me that you have some kind of heat recover and humidity control system. Is there any equipment installed outside The property?

sounds like air source

Hi,

You probably have the continuous ventilation unit on summer boost mode.

The continuous ventilation unit that you have has a large set of filters in it. These filters need to be cleaned regularly. If they become blocked or partially blocked, the pressure differential across the filters rises and the unit cuts out. If the unit fails to cut out, the exchanger will start to freeze over, to such an extent that the defrost cycle does not clear the exchanger of frost.

Consequently hot lines start to become cold and cold lines hot - in simple terms lines that don’t normally require insulation chill and condense in the atmosphere.

From your photos the hot line insulation into the Panasonic booster is well undersized. this should be at least 60mm diameter isoprene insulation Additionally the Panasonic unit should have at least 100mm of clear well ventilated space around it to function properly. Whatever is blocking the right hand side should be removed.

Not being picky, but the electrical isolation switch should be above or to the side of the unit It should not be underneath the drain point.

The quick solution is to turn off the two units and let them both return to room temperature (that may take 24 hours). The filters then need to be removed and properly cleaned or replaced.

If the unit is still operating with blocked or partially blocked filters it is likely that the pressure sensors are defective or have been removed ( people remove them to get the fan going not realising that the filter is the issue) They need to be reinstated.

I assume that you have recently moved into the property - these units are very good, but they need regular maintenance. Ask your neighbours, there will be a heating / ventilation man who regularly visits the building to undertake that routine work two or three times a year.

If you need any further clarification get back to me or indeed call Triton, they are expensive, but will come and clean / reconfigure the system for you

A final point - don’t go round insulating every pipe you can see - the condensation is almost certainty because the system is not functioning properly. You need to address the cause first, then the symptoms.

Last edited:
Hi,

You probably have the continuous ventilation unit on summer boost mode.

The continuous ventilation unit that you have has a large set of filters in it. These filters need to be cleaned regularly. If they become blocked or partially blocked, the pressure differential across the filters rises and the unit cuts out. If the unit fails to cut out, the exchanger will start to freeze over, to such an extent that the defrost cycle does not clear the exchanger of frost.

Consequently hot lines start to become cold and cold lines hot - in simple terms lines that don’t normally require insulation chill and condense in the atmosphere.

From your photos the hot line insulation into the Panasonic booster is well undersized. this should be at least 60mm diameter isoprene insulation Additionally the Panasonic unit should have at least 100mm of clear well ventilated space around it to function properly. Whatever is blocking the right hand side should be removed.

Not being picky, but the electrical isolation switch should be above or to the side of the unit It should not be underneath the drain point.

The quick solution is to turn off the two units and let them both return to room temperature (that may take 24 hours). The filters then need to be removed and properly cleaned or replaced.

If the unit is still operating with blocked or partially blocked filters it is likely that the pressure sensors are defective or have been removed ( people remove them to get the fan going not realising that the filter is the issue) They need to be reinstated.

I assume that you have recently moved into the property - these units are very good, but they need regular maintenance. Ask your neighbours, there will be a heating / ventilation man who regularly visits the building to undertake that routine work two or three times a year.

If you need any further clarification get back to me or indeed call Triton, they are expensive, but will come and clean / reconfigure the system for you
Thank you so much! This is super helpful. Yes, we just moved in. It's a new build and the developer has been so useless and unhelpful. It sounds like I need an engineer from Triton to come out as I would not even know where to start with the filters. I'll give them a call.

Where about’s are you? If you are in London and you want someone to look at the installation and talk you through how to operate / maintain it get back to me. We have a Mr Expert on Titon systems - he is old, but he knows them inside out!

Last edited:
Where about’s are you? If you are in London and you want someone to look at the installation and talk you through how to operate / maintain it get back to me. We have a Mr Expert on Triton systems - he is old, but he knows them inside out!
Yes, I am in NW2 - that would be great - please let me have his details. Tried to contact you privately but it would not work.

It looks like you have a chiller system for cooling.

Best thing for this is Cork Tape.
Wrap it around the pipes and valve bodies loosely and then squeeze it firm.
You may have to do the condensate drain also from the fan coil for the first 1/2 metre or so.

The water from the chiller will be @ 12 C, so it will condensate when ever you use the cooling system.

Reply to Please help me diagnose these drips and condensating pipes! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock