Search the forum,

Discuss Please help - Macerator exit pipe issue: in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I will attempt to describe the situation as tersely as possible

1. The macerator serves a toilet, a shower and a basin.
  2. Old Sanipro up worked for ten years then started to run on without emptying. Motor was dead.
  3. Exit pipe runs down .5m then horizontally under the floor for 2m and turns 135 degrees before running a further 4m to exit. It is totally innaccessible other than at the ends.
  4. Exit pipe is PVC 18mm, no 90 degree bends, but not at a 1 percent slope as specified. Saniflows specify 22mm exit pipes!
  5. Have swapped macerator for new Sanibest Pro
  6. The pressure of this new macerator is such that it blows the exit pipe out of the macerator when running however well I attach it.
  7. I can however blow air or water through the pipe with my mouth
  8. I have put a camera through the pipe and the bends are clear, but there is water sitting statically in the pipe and a lot of scale. It is hard to tell if there is a sag in the pipe or if there is a partial blockage collecting water.
  9. I have attempted a number of descale attempts using white vinegar with a plug at the end of the pipe overnight. The scale is still there.

So my questions are:

10) Am I getting a syphon effect because of a sagged pipe? Can I do something about that?
11) How can I descale / remove partial blockages in the pipe?
12) Is the Sanibest just too powerful? Should I downgrade?

I hope this is clear enough.

Thanks,

Michael

I'm not an expert. I think @rpm
is the man.
Sounds like you have multiple deviations from the manufacturer instructions which, in the case of macerators really need following to the letter.
I would suggest that you have a very careful read of the mi's and then rerun the discharge pipe as per instructions.
If you can replace the unit yourself you should be able to have a go at making up a discharge pipe.
Sanibest is a decent unit, change the discharge pipe not the unit.
I would advise against point 7 by mouth!
Blockages are best sucked back toward the unit with a wet vac.
You can try putting some descaler in the pipe but don't get it into the machine.

2 - Motor wasn`t dead if it kept running.
6 - Suspect clip is missing.
10 - No.
11- Same as but with Saniflo descaler and left for longer then rod with a small snake (may have to cut the bulb off).
12 - No

2 - Motor wasn`t dead if it kept running.
6 - Suspect clip is missing.
10 - No.
11- Same as but with Saniflo descaler and left for longer then rod with a small snake (may have to cut the bulb off).
12 - No

RPM

Thanks very much for this.

The clip was on tightly. I have tried again. It did not blow off this time but it did leak from the elbow joint and while the motor was running the lid was vibrating a good couple of mm.

Michael

Last edited:
Yep they do that. The elbow has to go all the way in not just up to the line and use a 7mm socket not a screwdriver.

Hello all,

I should be grateful for some more advice.

I borrowed a long camera and put it along the pipe from the outside. At 4m in, there is a fitting which is pictured. It seems that the descaler has worked best around this joint but that there is more to do before I attempt to reattach the macerator. I have two questions. Firstly, does this look like the partial blockage. Secondly, is this a push-fit connection and if so is it ok to continue using descaler?

Thanks

Michael

Attachments

• WIN_20200819_20_19_35_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200819_20_19_35_Pro.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 19
Could you post a photo of the pipe where you added the descaler.

Apologies that I was not clear. I am extremely grateful for your help, here.

This is after descaling with vinegar a few times. I plugged the pipe as it leaves the house and poured vinegar in until it was full from the macerator end. I then left it for 24 hours. I have repeated this 3 times now.
I have the saniflo descaler on order following your previous advice and it should arrive tomorrow.
I am now reasonably sure that the pipe is as follows:
  • From the macerator:
    • Section1: pipe goes down at 45 degree angle to the vertical then turns 135 degrees such that
    • Section2: pipe runs for c.2m at a small gradient then turns 2*45 degrees to connect to
    • Section3: pipe runs for 4m flat probably with a sag to the outside
    • There are two 45 degree bends into the downpipe that I have temporarily removed.

The photograph I posted was of the joint between sections 2 and 3 looking from section 3 with a long camera.
I can rod to this point from the either end but no further.

I am asking...

1. Is that a rubber o'ring that might be damaged if I use the descaler?
  2. Does this look like some other kind of blockage (as in not just scale).

Thanks again,

Regards,

Michael

I`m still unsure what type of pipe has been used here, it should be either copper which it isn`t or solvent weld plastic, that said I have seen push-fit plastic used. However to use a push-fit connection underground is a big No No for any liquid use.
If you have doubts about the pipe then replace it.

I have removed an awful lot of limescale from the exit pipe now using the descaler from Saniflo. I have reconnected the sanibest and it is still leaking when it is operating. I have attached a video. I should be very grateful for any further advice you might have. (The original file is a MOV but I have also converted it to MP4 so that it can be viewed by more or less anything.)

Michael

Attachments

• IMG_0065.MOV
    44.2 MB
  • IMG_0065.Mp4
    12.3 MB
I have removed an awful lot of limescale from the exit pipe now using the descaler from Saniflo. I have reconnected the sanibest and it is still leaking when it is operating.

Michael
What`s this "Still leaking", first you`ve said anything about leaks!
How many different sizes of pipes are there? It should start with the supplied silicone hose at the discharge elbow and continue in either 22mm copper or solvent weld however you mention a rubber O-ring joint being used underground which suggests a stiffening insert and a different sort of pipe. If this is the case then I suggest a new pipe either underground or up and over to the drain.

How many different sizes of pipes are there? It should start with the supplied silicone hose at the discharge elbow and continue in either 22mm copper or solvent weld however you mention a rubber O-ring joint being used underground which suggests a stiffening insert and a different sort of pipe. If this is the case then I suggest a new pipe either underground or up and over to the drain.
Hi RPM are you based in Yorkshire preferably South Yorkshire I need a plumber who can help with a Sanicompact unit thanks

The leak, as the video shows is at the elbow joint with the macerator. It was here that originally the macerator blew the elbow connector out. Now it is merely leaking, presumably because of pressure still, unless anyone can see anything that I am obviously doing wrong. I have tightened it firmly.

Again, grateful for any help. I am desperate to avoid lifting the floor. There are over a thousand books on shelves above it and an expensive wooden flooring.

Thanks

Michael

Last edited:
Hi RPM are you based in Yorkshire preferably South Yorkshire I need a plumber who can help with a Sanicompact unit thanks
Hi, I don`t hold the white passport or speak the lingo I`m afraid :D
However If you want to start your own thread on the Sanicompact I`ll try and help.

Last edited:
Michael, how the `ell can I help you if you keep dodging questions so goodbye and good luck.
🤬.
[automerge]1598452313[/automerge]
What about connecting the mains to the outlet and giving it a good blast then reconnect.
Strongly suspect a blast of mains will do nothing with limescale build up.

Last edited:
Michael, how the `ell can I help you if you keep dodging questions so goodbye and good luck.
🤬.
[automerge]1598452313[/automerge]

Strongly suspect a blast of mains will do nothing with limescale build up.
Apologies, I do not mean to be dodging questions. I am doing my best. What can I tell you. I am not a professional. I am just asking for help.
[automerge]1598452605[/automerge]
RPM

Apologies, I do not mean to be dodging questions. I am doing my best. What else do you want me to tell you? I am not a professional. I am just asking for help and very much appreciating what you have said so far.

Michael
[automerge]1598452975[/automerge]
Apologies, I do not mean to be dodging questions. I am doing my best. What can I tell you. I am not a professional. I am just asking for help.
[automerge]1598452605[/automerge]

Last edited:

Reply to Please help - Macerator exit pipe issue: in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock