Search the forum,

Discuss Please help in recommending good bathroom suites and fittings. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sullivan

Hi Guys,

I am just about to purchase suites and fittings for two bathrooms. My installer recommended I visit the 'Bath Store' which I did. The service and advice received was first class to be fair to the assistant and I was confident and intended to purchase from there.

Later whilst reading on-line reviews of the 'Bath Store' - they are very bad, with quality heavily criticised. In your opinion is the criticism justified?

Where should I look to purchase good quality, practical, durable suites and fittings at reasonable cost.

Thanks,

John.

Visit local Plumbers merchants, avoid BQ and the like, bathstore is part of worsley group ie plumb center

As said ,visit your local plumbers merchants,you will get a complete range there of what is avalible in the price range you are looking for or contact a recommended plumber if you are going to use one and let him know your requirements

I am not a fan of bathroom store must admit

imho

screwfix is a mix of both (bit expensive now) - but the customer service is much better than B&Q . . .

I doubt if the plumbers merchants will serve you - or if they do it will be at top dollar.

Why your installer recommended the bathstore is beyond me, as it is the last place I would go to!

if you like your baths warped and with chips in the enamel then bathstore is a great place!

KJ

I've not been too impressed with bathstore either,not particularly good value or quality.

I direct my customers to local plumbers merchants,they can then choose from a much wider range,and with my help we work out a price.Usually cheaper than the discount places and far easier to fit.

Definitely avoid B+Q,I've fitted some Screwfix stuff and it's pretty good actually.Makes like Ideal Standard,Twyford,Vitra,Bristan,Grohe and Mira are usually good bets but every installer will have their preferences. If you fancy treating yourself look at Marflow brassware!!

i too avoid bath store if possible fancy looking cheap copies most of it lots of stuff doesnt work as it should and can be a nightmare if anything is damaged on delivery

Grahams were fantastic when i purchased my last suite
i always found them expensive,
all i can say is dont buy cheap stuff off the internet, like ebay etc as its useally foreign stuff and can be a nightmare to get fittings to suit.

Grahams were a little more expensive but they had everything in stock, the sanitary was properly wrapped when delivered to the customer, and the quality was good, it was a nice install to be honest!

I just use my local merchants. If I give them a price I've seen and I need to keep the price down 9 times out of 10 they match it.

Thanks to everybody who has replied for your help.

For example I looked at a 900mm quadrant shower cubicle at Bath Shop and was quoted £780. I went to a different 'Bath Store' franchise shop today to re-look at the quality and I was dissapointed at the poor quality of the rollers and seals on the sliding doors, they were rubbish. I looked at a non Bathstore alternative cubicle -'Simpsons' and was quoted around the same price for this unit which was far superior quality in my opinion.

On my way home I called into B&Q and looked at a 'Cook & Lewis' 900mm quadrant cubicle which in my opinion is very well constructed; - comprable to Simpsons in my opinion! B&Q quoted £448 for this unit including the shower tray. There is a further charge of £79 for the easy plumb kit. A more expensive shower by Cook & Lewis at B&Q was rubbish quality in my opinion, so I think you just have to examine the unit in detail and judge for yourself! I also bought a Mira shower for £126 which appears fine and is easy to fit and will be easy to replace in the future.

Has anybody any strong views on 'Cook & Lewis' products?

Thanks,

John.

Last cook and lewis quadrant I saw was nothing special and they wanted £1200 for it. So your 448 sounds good. I think the trays are lightweight acrillyc though so watch that. I prefer stone or the solid lightweight ones. I often fit Coram, Aqualux showers at the lower end high end usually Daryl. A decent 900mm quadrant with low profile tray and 90mm waste should cost anything from £500 upwards any less and then I'd watch. Look for at least 6mm glass nice smooth running doors, solid handle. look at if it wobbles when the door opens and closes. Inside are the screws nicely covered or will the covers fall off. Is the door handle decent or a pice of rubbish.

Sanitary ware in my opinion is better sourced from a renowned manufacturer. Ideal Standard, Shanks, Duravit, Vitra etc. A good quality WC and basin set such as the Ideal Standard Alto range is nicely styled and well made at a reasonable price. Asd for a bath spend a bit extra on this and get an 8mm thick bath such as a Carron and use a half sheet of wetwall for a panel instead of the crappy panels you get for the bath. This is a far nicer finish and gives the bath extra support. As for brass ware Ideal Standard, bristan all good avoid DIY stores the taps are rubbish and in 5 couple of years time you'll not get a spare for them, even if you can now. Just go in and ask for a cartidge for one of their taps and watch the blank look and the hassle you'll go through.

Just my t'ppence worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please help in recommending good bathroom suites and fittings. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock