Search the forum,

Discuss Please help. Hot water in bath only fills up one quarter of tub then goes off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

danicali

Hello all. Please if anyone can help... I moved into a social housing flat with my little boy last June, and we don't have a shower, only a bath tub, and the hot water always runs out at about a quarter full (the flow literally stops) and all you get is cold water from the other tap. I have spent since June boiling kettles for myself and son for baths... they did tell me when I moved in that the hot water was limited but didn't explain how so. The flat is all electric, no gas. The storage tank is very large so don't see why it should cut out so soon. Is there anything I can do to fix this so the tub fills up with hot water? Any advice much appreciated. Thanks

probably a twin immersion cyl where one is off peak and the other a boost. If the off peak immersion is knackered your cyl will only heat in the top section. or you may be using all the hot water with old style washing machines during the day and none left by the time you run your bath, get someone round to check it out for you.

Hello all. Please if anyone can help... I moved into a social housing flat with my little boy last June, and we don't have a shower, only a bath tub, and the hot water always runs out at about a quarter full (the flow literally stops) and all you get is cold water from the other tap. I have spent since June boiling kettles for myself and son for baths... they did tell me when I moved in that the hot water was limited but didn't explain how so. The flat is all electric, no gas. The storage tank is very large so don't see why it should cut out so soon. Is there anything I can do to fix this so the tub fills up with hot water? Any advice much appreciated. Thanks

When you say the flow literally stops - you mean that nothing at all comes out of the hot tap? Not even cold water? If so, how long before it starts flowing again, and is it hot or cold when it does?

Is there any chance you could take a photo of whatever equipment is supposed to be supplying hot water and post it?

You might be on economy 7. Check the switch from your bottom immersion is turned on.

You need to ring the council and tell them you don't think your bottom immersion heater is not working.

If the flow stops then it could be a problem with the inlet valve to the cwcs that feeds the cylinder.

If the flow is stopping, the chances are you have a fortic/elson style combined cylinder and the flow into the top is not working fast enough.

As was said you probably have a combination cylinder, as you're in a flat, which isn't refilling quick enough when you run the hot tap at the bath
This could be for a few reasons (low water pressure, stuck filling valve) get on to you're landlord and don't be fobbed off, make a nuisance of yourself and ring 3/4/5 times a day if you have to
you shouldn't have to boil kettles
Also ask your neighbours (if any have the same hot water system as you)if they have the same problems
If and when you get an plumber turn up, post back on here and let us know the results

If the flow is stopping, the chances are you have a fortic/elson style combined cylinder and the flow into the top is not working fast enough.
hello again. 1) I don't have a washing machine or dish washer 2) yes, the flow literally stops from the hot tap after the tub fills up a quarter full, if I want more hot water I have to wait a few hours think it may be economy 7/heatwise system I am wondering if they set it this way on purpose and how I would set it back to normal for a full tub, sorry if I wasn't clear before really appreciate the replies, my new years resolution was to try to have a full bath at some stage

Please go to your hot water cylinder & take a pic, or tell us what the label says on it?!

If this has been an ongoing problem it could be an undersized cwsc and not filling your cylinder as you draw your hot water off

its no use. ive tried for over an hour to upload a jpeg image of the unit, only 103kb and not uploading no matter how many times I try, nothing works in this place and I'm at my wits end because I cant resolve anything :(

Hello all.

they did tell me when I moved in that the hot water was limited but didn't explain how so.

Thanks

Your situation is not acceptable, but from your post, you were informed of the issue with hot water.
So if they had informed you how exactly the issue was with hot water, you would have been ok?

Still waiting for the hw cylinder info from that label...!

Hi danicali, there seems to be a communication breakdown......just tell us what it says on the cylinder label if you cant upload the image thats the way.

Dani, I've messaged you regarding your communication breakdown and how I can help. I'm not the tusk endowed black dog I'm made out to be!

Dani, I've messaged you regarding your communication breakdown and how I can help. I'm not the tusk endowed black dog I'm made out to be!
No you're a nice fella with a lovely Kashmir jumper on ! Tell me croppie as an Englishman in N.I do you have to sing an immigrant song every time you go there?

I have a whole lotta love for Croppies response

But you go your own way if you're not convinced

Sorry Irish I didn't mean to break the chain

Yes the Rumours about Croppie aren't true. As Long As You Follow forum rules...

Ha ha that's if he's not out on the tiles.

Thank you. I dazed and confused. Think I'm going to close my eyes.

thanks for taking the mickey out me, gents. there is no label on anything on the unit. that is why I have not replied as such. I took a photo of the unit, saved it as a jpeg, 103k only, and tried for an hour to upload it. it didn't work. I just tried again, it didn't work. keep taking the mickey though, it's really funny to not have a shower or a full bath for months on end when it's not you, or to be questioned as to why I took the place - because I had no other choice I would have been homeless, cheers for your kindness

Last edited by a moderator:
Id once said oh Dianne to her when we were chatting told me ' need your love so bad. Forgot she was a gold dust woman ... That is your Rhiannon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please help. Hot water in bath only fills up one quarter of tub then goes off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock