Search the forum,

Discuss Plate Heat Exchanger - Correct orientation in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all.

Looking for an opinion; on the correct orientation of a plate heat exchanger. I had a discussion in passing about installing a plate heat exchanger on its back so that the connections are face up, standard orientation is that the platte exchanger sits on one end and the connections are to the side. I have been infromed of reason why it should not be on its back, before any one says I know this is a bad orientation (on its back) to avoid detritus build up from the system but if it is correctly filtered this should manage this problem; I looking for any advice that wouls gie me a tangibble reason why this should be avoided?

Other than to air the system it doesn’t matter also fit strainers to the inlets to the plate

I think the reason you've got is tangible, they do tend to scale up a bit and a vertical plate exchanger will clear scale but a horizontal one will gather it.
Altho i'd imagine its not too much of an issue, I've worked on allot of plate heat exchangers and never seen one without vertical plates (except on swimming pools).

Last edited:

Reply to Plate Heat Exchanger - Correct orientation in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a Baxi Duo Tech 28 HE. According to an online search with the serial number and GC number, I should have a 20-plate heat exchanger. So, I purchased a 20-plate unit. However, when I removed the old part, it appears to have 12-14 plates. Is there any harm in installing a 20-plate exchanger...
Replies
Views
I have a thermal store heated by a boiler with its own thermostat. I also have a stove with a back boiler. The stove heats water in a separate tank. There is a thermostat on this second tank that pushes hot water over to the store tank when it's hot. It's a closed loop and goes through a heat...
Replies
Views
Hi, Boiler is losing pressure, from 1.5 bar to 0 bar in about 4 hours. Have checked all rads and seem to be fine, no water out external prv pipe. If the heat exchanger is faulty what do I need to look for? There is a constant run of water from the condensate pipe when heating on but not sure...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, I have a challenge with a Main Eco Elite 30 Combi which is short cycling on the CH. Water works fine. As soon as you have call for heat, the boiler fires up, modulates, but jumps very quickly (about 30 seconds or so from 40'ish all the way to 70, burner disengages putting it the...
Replies
Views
Hi all New Diverter valve going in mid week ( subject to eng being available) and from my previous discussion, the dhw plate heat exchanger could also be causing the bypass to lift. So I have sourced a potential replacement dhw plate heat exchanger to go in at same time, but the original part...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock