Search the forum,

Discuss plastic, whats the best? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

Hi all, i know this has been covered before but what is the best plastic?

Is it jg speedfit or floplast or another?

and which is best for connecting to copper as need to tee off of copper.

I am a strict copper person normally but need a temporary connection for a person, with minimal cost, as very low pressure to bathroom.

I like the old hep but they don't make it anymore. So tectite is my new fav. But it is expensive

I've used JG before without probs but if low pressure is a prob it'll be worse with plastic due to the smaller internal bore!

Poly Plumb.

If you're not sure whether a joint has pushed home, you can dismantle it and check it, then re-assemble it properly.

With JG, you can do the same, but it's more of a pain...with Hep they now have these inserts with teeth, so you can rotate the fitting and if you feel it grind, you know it's pushed home. Which sounds great until you start using the stuff. Major ball ache.

Flo Plast is cheap N cheerful. Don't really rate it, though I have used it in the past without issue. (Have some in my own house).

Tectite is great but expensive.

Think that about covers all the UK products..

As you can tell, I have no issues with using plastic pipe!

I've used JG before without probs but if low pressure is a prob it'll be worse with plastic due to the smaller internal bore!

sorry should of explained bit better, pressure to kitchen is fine (hot) pressure to bathroom is poor, due to long run of pipe, old pipe and possibly taps.

I liked the old Hep Si, but Poly Plumb is much the same thing.

The new white stuff just doesn't dismantle well. Even with the free tool they give you.

Speed fit is the plastic of choice for me. Don't like hep, the pipe just doesn't seem right.

for future reference, if you were going to buy pipe, which pipe would suit all fittings or is it a case of only buying the fittings that are correct for the pipe?

which expands in length the most ?

Don't know, but they do shift when you fill them up don't they?!

I do quite a bit of work in offices, running water supplies to the water coolers and coffee machines up in the suspended ceiling.

They nearly always want it done in plastic as it's cheaper and quite often you can do the whole run with two or three joints. Anyway, when you fill them up, in starts to all shift. (I cable tie the pipe in the racks, you can't clip it).

Most makes of fittings (main stream) will work with most makes of pipe.

However that's not how it should be done, and I personally never mix makes. If I have to button onto another make of plastic, I prefer to go back to copper tube, and then onto my choice of pushfit.

Yeah, I'm sure it does as they're rated differently. I just don't know which one expands more.

Do you?

Well I'm sure someone will know. I don't know either!! Sorry mate.

Tamz (AKA Yoda) will know.

It's the one that's more flexible, used for ufh. That's the one that expands the least.

So you did know!! LOL.

It all expands, Pex, Pb, Cu expands quite a bit too you know!!

Just chewing the cud mate.

Besides it's good to know this stuff.

I had a long run of plastic pipe, that shifted all over the place when I ran the hot water through it. I'd clipped it every meter, but it had more waves than brighton beach.

So it's good to know these things.

Yeah, read it. That's bad. It's an American forum and they're talking about baseboard heating. I have no idea what tempretures they're talking about but could be high.

Never had any issues as bad as that.

I have had to fit an expansion loop on a long run of copper.

I was reading this at about 1am last night and realised I hadn't used Polyplumb before so had a quick shufters on their website, theres a bit at the side (I think) that says 'request a sample', so I filled it in.
3 o'clock this afternoon I got a delivery of a 15mm coupler, a stop end, a bonny key ring and a brochure.
Gave the keyring to my youngest lad, but the coupler and stop end will come in handy, delivered in 14 hours and free - I'm impressed :)

I like the convenience of using plastic but have had two incident's now with fitting's blowing off under pressure. First time I had used JG speedfit in a house extension for new rad runs, put the new boiler in, filled up and commissioned no probs then all of a sudden 'boom' water all down a new studded wall cut a hole in the new floor above and found a 15mm JG tee was off on one side.
Upon closer inspection I found the steel grab ring from inside the fitting was missing...gutted...but it was new and had no furniture or decorating done so easy clean up and fitting replaced.

Second time exactly the same in an extension that was being converted into a garage and extra room, stood right underneath a 22mm tee with my mate and that went boom under 1.5 bar and heating on full whilst commissioning and testing, lucky we jumped away and again no damage due to being new build, this time I was using polyplumb and AGAIN an internal steel grab ring missing from a brand new fitting. So am wary now, maybe I should've gone through all the fittings first when I bought them but should we need to ???
Anyway i like polyplumb it's much more flexible, and you can buy the internals on their own and reuse the fitting's if you ever take any off.

polyplumb is my fav, its non demountable so the grap rings are alot stronger than most. The new hep2o is also quite good. JG Speedfit is good also but tend to be slightly higher in price than most.

Last edited:
I like the new Hep2o. Nice and easy to remove with the keys & you know when it's fully inserted with the new ridged inserts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Couple a' Tools

alway use speedfit personally. once you start with one you end up with loads of fittings on the van
which encourages you to stick to that brand.

First time I had used JG speedfit in a house extension for new rad runs, put the new boiler in, filled up and commissioned no probs then all of a sudden 'boom' water all down a new studded wall cut a hole in the new floor above and found a 15mm JG tee was off on one side.
Upon closer inspection I found the steel grab ring from inside the fitting was missing

Speedfit don't have steel grab rings, unless there's a new design I don't know about. Hep fittings have them and are the only fittings I've ever had blow off. JG have never let me down so that's what I stick with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to plastic, whats the best? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi folks I need to fit a kitchen monobloc tap temporarily. A new sink unit will be going in soon so this will just be a stop gap. The current tap is connected with copper down to plastic pipes. I've attached photos below of what's there now and what the new flexi tails look like (is that a...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all. I hope one of you may have the answer i am looking for. I have four solenoid valves connected to the main water supply and they break all the time. I too have them istalled based the manufacturer requirments but i believ the water pressure is too high and they don't last long. I was...
Replies
Views
Christos83
C
Hello hello,, Hoping there are some experts or experienced Bulgarian plumbing chaps in this site ?. Here in the UK I can fit a bathroom just with the experience I have picked up over a lifetime. I can make copper pipe runs isolaters taps sink shower etc but me and the missus have bought a small...
Replies
Views
Hello. I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to be able to learn some things as well as contribute as best I can. This might seem like an odd query, but I need to determine what kinds of plumbing pipes I have, and approximately what percentage of each type. I'd appreciate any help with this...
Replies
Views
Yes I know is a bit basic the header but have been milling this over for ages. Needs doing now as autumn approaching. I need to take a feed off a radiator in one room to feed another in an adjacent room. Problem is the doorway which I will have to cross. It is possible to cross under the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock