Search the forum,

Discuss Plastic Pipes - Whats the difference between types in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is a numpty question, but I'm a sparks (boo!), and I need to run in some plastic pipe before closing up some walls, and there's no plumber on the job yet.

It's only a small 1 bed apartment, with gas combi boiler supplying a kitchen sink, bathroom (shower/bath, basin, WC) and 4 rads.

I know where I need to run the pipes but i'm not sure what type to run - preferrably the same type and size (15mm) for everything.

There appear to be the following types (from screwfix as I don't have an account with a plumbers merchants):

PE-X Barrier Pipe
BPEX Barrier Pipe
Polybutylene Pipe (WRAS approved)
Polybutylene Barrier Pipe
Plastic covered flexible copper

Also need to run a gas pipe for a hob - does this need to be copper and any particular grade/spec?

Anyhring else I need to be aware of/avoid?!

Many thanks

Oh, and will 15mm feed 3 to 4 rads/rooms from the combi, or should I run 22 and drops in 15 for the plumber?

If you have to run a gas pipe as well then just get the gsr guy in to run the pipes rather than worrying what should be what.

Thanks but problem we need to close up a couple of walls, and need to get pipes in now.

Only gas pipe that needs to go in at this stage is a feed to a gas hob, and that can be a straight single length of pipe (gas fitter can do the terminations).

So will 15mm copper for gas hob, and 15mm plastic PEX barrier pipe for everything else, be OK?

Thanks but problem we need to close up a couple of walls, and need to get pipes in now.
Only gas pipe that needs to go in at this stage is a feed to a gas hob, and that can be a straight single length of pipe (gas fitter can do the terminations).
So will 15mm copper for gas hob, be OK?
any gas pipe will need testing before it is buried/covered, how do you plan to do that??
is 15mm ok, the answer to that is the same answer for how long is a piece of string?
in short, probably, but all depends on distance/demand and resistance to flow.

wait till it can be done properly

any gas pipe will need testing before it is buried/covered, how do you plan to do that??
is 15mm ok, the answer to that is the same answer for how long is a piece of string?
in short, probably, but all depends on distance/demand and resistance to flow.

wait till it can be done properly
i agree. you are only asking for problems by not waiting for the plumber. there are a few regulations that i'm not going into here which need following to the letter.

why would any body whose not gsr want to touch gas any way even if it is only a straight run thats asking for trouble

If I was the plumber coming to that job I wouldn't be happy with you putting pipes in.

What does the plumber think he's coming to do on this job?

I think you're all being a bit harsh on him, regs yes and safety of course but as to the gas, he only wants to stick a single unjoined whole and entire length through a wall, surely thats ok? Id rather have a sparky do it than your regular home owner :)

In don't think it's harsh, it might be worse if they do it and then the gsr wants it all opening back up.

Might have been better trying to get somebody there rather than waiting for responses on here.

If I was the plumber coming to that job I wouldn't be happy with you putting pipes in.
If it was me turning up at that job I wouldn't be happy having to use plastic pipe for the bathroom. Long live copper!

Just something not quite right with this thread imho.

I agree. He's not waiting for a plumber, he's planning on doing it himself.

Not just a simple case of running a pipe and filling chases in. Pipes need proper clipping and protecting, capping off to prevent ingress. The gas will need wrapping and testing and probably an elbow soldering on to leave a stab for the hob. I wouldn't run more than 3 rads off 15mm pipe and the cold may need to be 22mm.
Leave it to the plumber.

If your boarding over pipes and just using straight runs of pipe you'll prob make it harder for the plumber. I'd want to see copper tails not plastic, then you've got joints in the walls which need proving.
At least speak to the plumber before you attempt anything.

Thanks for the welcome (and conspiracy theories :tongue:).

It's all OK with the plumber, but he's on holiday and wasn't contactable today.

He's asked us to do him a favour and run some pipes through a new wall, before it's closed up and tiled (the other side can still be accessed if needed but will be difficult to work on) and another partition is constructed at right angles to the end of it forming a corridor so long lengths of copper won't be able to be easily fitted later.

While we're at it we can run plastic heating and H&C pipes for him as well which allows the builder and chippy to get on (we work together regularly, and as a team, so help each other out - none of this "it's not my job mate" attitude here!).

We're not making any joints inside or outside walls, just running empty un-connected lengths of pipe :frown2:

It's not exactly rocket science is it, and if there are "regs" that we are falling foul of it would have been nice to know, but never mind :rolleyes4:

Thanks for the advice.

gas safe tech bulletin says what to do in this situation when coming in behind someone and I love it "expose all pipework to ensure it has been installed correctly" after all whos to say there arent pushfit joints etc hidden!! and whos arse is on the line certainly not the sparkies. comes down to project management in the end!

I would be happier if I knew it was one length of plastic pipe running down the wall rather then joints done by somebody unqualified. If the plumber is happy for you to do this then get 22mm (any brand is fine), he can then connect what he wants up to it. any qualified plumber will be able to get a fitting for any make and stop it from leaking.

As for Gas pipe, the law states that you must hold CCN1 certificate to run a gas pipe, this includes any length of pipe that is intended to be used for gas wether it is now or in the future.

so to run the gas pipe would be breaking the law, further more it could endanger life if it is not protected properly or sealed properly, as said before, leave this to a gas engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plastic Pipes - Whats the difference between types in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock