Search the forum,

Discuss Planning permission for underground oil tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt06

Gas Engineer
Hello, Do you need planning permission to install an oil tank underground?

Planning portal says

Installing a fuel tank is considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

• Not more than 3,500 litres capacity.
  • Not forward of the principal elevation fronting a highway.
  • Maximum overall height of three metres.
  • Maximum height 2.5 metres within two metres of a boundary.
  • Not more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
  • In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from house to be limited to 10 square metres.
  • Not at the side of properties on designated land*.
  • Within the curtilage of listed buildings any container will require planning permission.

Thanks

best ask as planners and environment agency can get quite shirty with underground storage in certain areas, ie close to watercourse, springs etc, its not worth getting it wrong, esp if your watertable is fairly high in your area. You may well have noted that none of what you quoted mentions underground oil stores, which are considered to be other engineering works, if the planners cant find a place for them elsewhere in their rules.

Thanks I told them they need planning permission and to get a Tank installation company if they really wanted the tank underground tbh when they get a quote I'm sure they will change their mind

large concrete slab and banding to hold it in the ground isnt cheap

Piece of cake ! Been there done that many times we had a septic tank that started floating out !
Full of water and a sump pipe with a 6 inch pump running too , had the dam poclain on the neck of the bottle holding it down ,luckily the concrete plant was just down the road and the first driver diverted another load straight to us he saved the day but 12 metres of concrete to hold a bottle in was a dear job !!!!!

They have come back to me asking for a quote to either commission or supply and commission an above ground oil tank

Not too sure about just commissioning what do you guys think is a good price just to commission if any one wants to PM i know it would just be an idea. It is Affinity water by the looks of the email or someone that works for them using their work email address. I might go have a look anyway as I am fairly new to oil.

Thanks

Try to get to site while they are doing the sub base too, that way you know that it's been done right, rather than just some slabs dropped onto an inch of type 1...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Planning permission for underground oil tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Is it acceptable to place a cut off solenoid valve on the output of an elevated oil tank? Reasoning being that the oil pipe goes into the house to feed the boiler, should there be a leak within the house theres a chance it may be more likely to be noticed when the boiler is on than off. So the...
Replies
Views
E
Given I've an old stone house that needs constant heat to drive the moisture out I'm planning on moving my oil burner out of the house to a shed to make room for two accumulator tanks in battery sequence to make up roughly 1000 liter's of hot water for constant trickle heating around the house...
Replies
Views
A single storey building in a L shape, I have planning permission to develop one leg of the L into accommodation. The other leg is accommodation (converted in 2005) as is a small part of the leg to develop, if that makes sense. There are two outbuildings to be converted and extended, by removing...
Replies
Views
L
Good Evening All, May I first start by offering my congratulations and thanks for a very informative forum and excellent research tool for all elements of plumbing; both professional and novice. Apologies for the lengthy first post, but I wanted to be as comprehensive as possible to gather...
Replies
Views
leighduffy
L
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock