Search the forum,

Discuss Pipe layout (small leak) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I'm a door fitter by trade and definitely not a plumber.
I came home and found a small leak under the sink, I'm trying to identify what the pipe is before I need to call a plumber out or hopefully repair it myself.

I've attached a photo of the layout with arrows to where the leak is.
Hoping someone could identify the pipe, first I thought it was the overflow, but why would it leak? ( go easy, I'm not a plumber) :)

To clarify, the pipe with the lead looks like it heads outside but there is no pipe on the outside of the house but what I have noticed is a few bricks looking rather wet!

Many thanks

Attachments

• sink.jpg
    sink.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hi and welcome,
Is there any chance that it is condensation dripping down from the copper pipe above? The white pipe is solvent weld and don`t tend to leak in time.
That pipe going "outside" is actually bringing water in from say washing m/c or dishwasher perhaps?

The "leaking" pipe could be the condensate drain from the nearby Gas boiler?
Is that wall a solid outside wall, the back of the cabinet or Stud wall?

Thanks for both of your replies.
Yes, its a solid wall, so after looking at the boiler there is the same size white plastic pipe coming from there, so it means its the condensate drain pip from the boiler.

I also noticed a tiny damp patch on the wall (plaster colour) - photo attached

I had checked the copper pipe to see if it was condensation dripping off and onto the plastic pipe but its not.

So if the pipe from the boiler is leaking - over flowing? Do I have any options?

Regards

Attachments

• pipe 2.jpg
    pipe 2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
Hi all,

I'm a door fitter by trade and definitely not a plumber.
I came home and found a small leak under the sink, I'm trying to identify what the pipe is before I need to call a plumber out or hopefully repair it myself.

I've attached a photo of the layout with arrows to where the leak is.
Hoping someone could identify the pipe, first I thought it was the overflow, but why would it leak? ( go easy, I'm not a plumber) :)

To clarify, the pipe with the lead looks like it heads outside but there is no pipe on the outside of the house but what I have noticed is a few bricks looking rather wet!

Many thanks
As you realise it a bit nutty to take an outflow pipe along ..down..along ..and up
..and out of a wall. However thats what you have to deal with. It is as above
a condense outflow. I would just give it a twist and see if its been glued together
it might just come apart. Then its not rocket science to stick it back. If you can fit doors
its WAY within you ball park ..let us know how you get on Simon ..centralheatking

Strong hair dryer or heat gun are both known to work to break the weld but that wont help to find the leak so better off cutting a small section out and making good. Word of caution though, solvent weld doesn`t give you a lot time to line the elbow up where you want it so apply the solvent weld (glue) push the elbow or fitting on and hold steady whilst counting slowly to 30.

When in a tight spot some people have been known to clean the outside of the area and paint a heavy coating of the glue around the area and leave alone for 20 minutes, something you may want to try before cutting pipes out but I never told you ok ;)

Cheers guys,

Fixing the leak isn't really the main issue, my worry was why was water coming out of the pipe in the first place, if there is that much coming through the condensate drain pipe does it mean there is another problem somewhere, ie boiler problem.
I took the cover of the boiler and drained the small plastic tub which was full of water where the condensate pipe led to, it was full and dirty but not blocked.

All pipes cleaned and paper towels at the ready in the case of any new drips of water (1 hour on - nothing)
Fingers crossed.
Cheers again.

How old is the boiler? Water /condensate are the same and unless the pipe runs downhill from boiler to drain at an angle it wont empty (leaving aside a pump somewhere of course).

Because you have removed the cover and worked inside I am now stepping aside because I don`t have the certs to be able to advise you but somebody else will be along soon.
Think you will need a plumber.

Reply to Pipe layout (small leak) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock