Search the forum,

Discuss Pipe lagging for radiator pipes set in plaster in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My plumber chased some radiator pipes into my masonry wall and has left it to me to cover up - which I will do with plaster filler.

However - he hasn't put any protective cover on the pipes.

He suggested I get denso tape and wrap it round the copper pipes - but denso tape has a melt point of about 60 degrees celcius - so not really suitable around hot radiator pipes.

Can anyone advise on what type of tape or lagging I need to put around the copper pipes before plastering over?

Thanks in advance.

Waterproof duct tape I use

not sure denso or waterproof duct tape can be used around really hot copper pipes.
how about pipe lagging? Is this for hot radiator pipes?
Economy Pipe Insulation 15mm x 13mm x 1m

not sure denso or waterproof duct tape can be used around really hot copper pipes.
how about pipe lagging? Is this for hot radiator pipes?
Economy Pipe Insulation 15mm x 13mm x 1m

Chase would end up too deep as it's 13+15+13

So that's close to 1 3/4" deep

And I haven't seen it peal when hot

Do you know any thinner alternatives to pipe insulation? and suitable for hot pipes?

Other than 9mm no 10mm pipework your stuck as they don't make insulation for

Not the worst job to just do with sheet of polythene cut into strips of 4" wide and wrapped up like a bandage with double wrap (overlap) and electrical tape to secure the ends. Ordinary dry wall will not do pipes any harm then and it allows slight expansion movement

Not the worst job to just do with sheet of polythene cut into strips of 4" wide and wrapped up like a bandage with double wrap (overlap) and electrical tape to secure the ends. Ordinary dry wall will not do pipes any harm then and it allows slight expansion movement

Won't they sweat ?

Won't they sweat ?

Doesn't seem to do the pipes any harm.
I wouldn't advise anyone doing it that method in a wall that tends to be always damp, but on a wall that is to dry out it just keeps the cement etc from contacting the copper and allows the pipe lengthways expansion movement.
I much prefer pipes inside round conduit where possible though

Depends on the depth but with mimimum cover i would use aluminium foil tape , armaflex do waterproof insulation but i am guessing it would be to thick for this job . cheers kop

Depends on the depth but with mimimum cover i would use aluminium foil tape , armaflex do waterproof insulation but i am guessing it would be to thick for this job . cheers kop

I did a bit of research and armaflex or Reemo do a thin protective insulation tape. Both perform at high temperatures. Not sure if they are suitable for being buried in wet plaster....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074QSDTRM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=APCCEBV4WO30B&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0069R66BA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1QKFATOCKF26&psc=1

Yes there both fine in plaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe lagging for radiator pipes set in plaster in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock