Search the forum,

Discuss Pipe Insert needed for 1/2" I/D black plastc pipe circa 1974 Walsall area in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spadders

Hi guys, I hope somebody can help me as I'm struggling a bit.
We have moved our kitchen into a different room, and a door is going where the original water main is, so it needs to be rerouted. Spoke to a plumber who said use a 22mm elbow with a 3/4 olive to connect to the old black plastic which is 1/2" inside diameter, and to re-use the insert. I cut the pipe first because the fitting was seized, and when I got it apart there was no insert, just a piece of 15mm with an olive on that was flapping around doing nothing. I pulled the old olive off and it has a lip either side to help grip the plastic.
I've reconnected, and both sides of the elbow are weeping, the plastic and the 22/15 reducer on the new pipe. I had to reconnect so we had the water back on.
Can anybody tell me where I can get a 1/2" insert for the black plastic pipe in Walsall or surrounding area?
Many thanks in advance.

think you can get a philmac adaptor for this type of pipework, check with plumcentre or similar

If possible you need an offcut of the pipe ?
Go to a merchants or pipeline centre as the old black poly comes in many classes such as class C or D and the wall thicknesses are all different !
Try PLASSON or PHILIMAC

If it is the same pipe that I am thinking of then a 15mm Yorkshire straight should be a neat fit. (Not sure about an end feed type though).

As Gray said, you can use 15mm copper,
i have flared it like an insert by hitting the copper standing upright to stop it going into the pipe to far.

Been everywhere to try and find an insert and nobody has one, tried Plumbase, City Plumbing, PTS and Yardley Holland, the guy at PTS insisted that I can use a Philmac Universal Transition Coupling without an insert, which I duly bought home, but it's really bulky and I'm struggling to get it in situ.
Would it be worth persevering with the compression fitting and maybe using Boss White and/or PTFE?

you can get the correct alkathene inserts off ebay. search "liner and olive for alkathene pipe"
hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe Insert needed for 1/2" I/D black plastc pipe circa 1974 Walsall area in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All After having pooling water on my drive, I dug down around to find: Black pipe poly/plastic dug 450mm deep spraying water at mains pressure from small hole/crack The outside of pipe (measured with veneer caliper) at 23.5mm Pipe Runs under drive, along side of property and looks to go...
Replies
Views
Main water inlet pipe stopcock seized. Have tried freeing it to no avail so looking to replace it. It's very old as you can see on the attached pictures. I've bought a 25mm stopcock and have a 1" to 22mm reducer. I can't get the reducer to fit over the black pipe as pictured and I'm beginning to...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady upstairs had a plumber in July who relocated her washbasin shower and fitted a new radiator.He caused a bad leak and came to fix it in august and I thought...
Replies
Views
1" GHT to 1" NPT needed. I need to find a plastic or PVC type fitting to jin together two pipes. The female is GHT, and the males side is NPT. I need to buy a bunch of them on an ongoing basis. Can anyone help me find them. No mass or metallic as they are cost prohibitive. Thanks!
Replies
Views
D
I wonder if anyone can help, I've tried several plumbers merchants to no avail. I have removed an old stopcock, (which seized long ago, with a newer stopcock just above) as it had been leaking from several places, mainly at the bottom where it joined the 3/4" threaded female end on rising main...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock