Search the forum,

Discuss Pipe Freezing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PipeyMike

Hi all - long-time lurker, first-time poster!

I've had a good look around but mixed opinions on this - does pipe freezing work?

I was at the phex show last week and a company there was demo-ing pipe freezing on a live rig

It looked fairly convincing but never bothered with it myself as I've heard horror stories. Any opinions?

Cheers!

Mike

used only once to move stopcock, used can kit from toolstation i think, no problems at all. you however might find it difficult if you have no access and need to solder close to freezing point, as you need to keep minimum distance, that would be downside to it. do you plan to invest in pipe freezer as this is not something you will probably use too often :)

used only once to move stopcock, used can kit from toolstation i think, no problems at all. you however might find it difficult if you have no access and need to solder close to freezing point, as you need to keep minimum distance, that would be downside to it. do you plan to invest in pipe freezer as this is not something you will probably use too often :)

Thanks for that - I don't think it will be something I'd use everyday. They had 2 different kits - a big one with brass fittings and jackets and some disposable ones. Arctic Spray? I think the big one was about £100, so too rich for my blood but disposable was about £20. The attractive girl on the stand said it would save time on draining a system down (she would wouldn't she? :drool5:). I reckon if £20 could do that, it might be worth a look. But if it means I end up kneeling in a pool of freezing water for the sake of swapping out a fitting, I might just stick to the tried and tested method!

Edit: found a link online but can't post it? Definitely Arctic Spray. The big kit is called Polar, I think that's the one they were demo-ing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pipey

Unfortunately, you gets what you pay for!

Unless you plan to freeze regularly, consider hiring a freezing machine when you need one. That way you can just add the hire cost to the job.

Ray

I agree with Ray, hire one as and when needed, that way you can be sure it's done its job, even on 15 mm the slightest movement of water, heat, or anything and cans will not work.

if you use cans, carry spare underwear, simples. I carry my machine at all times, and if it gets used i charge the equivalent of a hire fee, it has solved lots of nasty problems in its time and makes most rad changes a doddle.

cans work a treat upto 28mm, just let heating/ hot water cool in the pipe first...

if you aren't sure its frozen, just spray the pipe either end sticking out the jacket if it stays white its frozen... never had one fail

cans work a treat upto 28mm, just let heating/ hot water cool in the pipe first...

if you aren't sure its frozen, just spray the pipe either end sticking out the jacket if it stays white its frozen... never had one fail

always sure with a machine. had to do a cold main cut off once as it couldnt be isolated, it held for about 20 seconds!! only just got the valve on, never used a spray can since.

I used a Rothenberger can last week to change a bedroom rad. £15. Very old system so didn't want to drain down. Used half a can on first valve, no problem. Then other side wouldn't freeze and I didn't have a spare can. Decided to snatch it. Glad no one was watching it was like a comedy sketch. Don't think I'll be buying anymore cans. A freezing machine would have saved me lots of time over the years. One thought I had was to get together with a local plumber and share the cost of a machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe Freezing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock