Search the forum,

Discuss Pipe freezing machine? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumb_know

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I am contemplating buying a pipe freezing machine, bought a polar freezer kit but in long run think machine would be more cost effective as freeze cans are expensive also not the panic issue of working to a time restraint. On a previous company I used rothenberger plumbfreeze Eco but found it to be a bit unreliable and the clamps are very bulky.

i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good freezing machine that will freeze at least 8mm-28mm pipe? Also what are your opinions on Freezing machines and have you found them useful and worth the money?

The downsides I found with the rothenberger is that it's was a bit unreliable, clamps bulky so limited where I could use it and also took a while to freeze. But did come in useful sometimes and did save draining to replace radiator valves on some occasions.

Would appreciate your opinions
thanks

They aren't cheap but they are very handy and can save hours of draining and refilling. Mine is the Arctic machine which is the same as the Freeze Master (different colour) and I have had it for years. The only maintenance you need is to get it regassed every few years with new seals and the guy who does the aircon on my van does that if I need.

You need to turn it on at least once every week when not in regular use or the seals can dry out.

I am contemplating buying a pipe freezing machine, bought a polar freezer kit but in long run think machine would be more cost effective as freeze cans are expensive also not the panic issue of working to a time restraint. On a previous company I used rothenberger plumbfreeze Eco but found it to be a bit unreliable and the clamps are very bulky.

i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good freezing machine that will freeze at least 8mm-28mm pipe? Also what are your opinions on Freezing machines and have you found them useful and worth the money?

The downsides I found with the rothenberger is that it's was a bit unreliable, clamps bulky so limited where I could use it and also took a while to freeze. But did come in useful sometimes and did save draining to replace radiator valves on some occasions.

Would appreciate your opinions
thanks

We looked at this recently for our hire fleet, and after some research we settled on the Rofrost Turbo. All the hire companies seem to use either that machine, or the freezemaster equivalent.

They aren't cheap, but since you are in Maidstone, you can always arrange to hire one from your favourite forum sponsor's Aylesford branch! :) I won't put the rental price on the open forum, but you would have to rent it an awful lot to pay of the purchase cost.

Thanks for replies, I would like it on the van so I can do the job there and then but I did see your outlet up Aylesford and will go in their and enquire about opening an account. So rofrost turbo or freeze master it is then.
Ray you mentioned you compared them both what caused you to go for the rofrost turbo over the freeze master?

Whpes you mentioned seals going how often does this seem to happen and how much it cost you to get serviced?

Thanks for for replies really helpful

Ray you mentioned you compared them both what caused you to go for the rofrost turbo over the freeze master?

It wasn't anything technical - we have an existing relationship with Rothenberger, and they gave me a better price. :) But the price wouldn't have been important if I had not got the good reports on reliability. We did look at the cheaper Rothenberger machine, but rejected it as too light-duty for the hire market.

i use a freezemaster, fm 2nd hand purchase, I wouldnt go near rothenburger as they seem to rebadge other peoples products and freezemaster just build the one thing, and they are reliable, same cant be said for some rothernburger kit nowadays.

ive always use the ro frost as thats what the hire companies use as well. only problem is they weigh a tonne. I am comtemplasting getting a more domestic one, so will be keeping an eye on this thread

We have three, two Rofrost Turbo and a Turbo II. Brilliant bit of kit.

Well I definitely will be getting one of the 2, how do you find the limitations of them? As I stated in a earlier thread I found the clamps on the rothenberger I had with a company I worked for quite bulky which reduced the pipes I could freeze, are these two varieties as bulky clamps? Also how long do they usually take to freeze 15mm pipe? One quicker than the other both about the same?

Also if you have to get the freezing machine out do you add a bit to the job or do you just charge it as you would if you didn't have one? Or even charge less if you think it will save you time? Doubt any one goes for the last option :) but you never know!

Thanks for for your replies everyone

daft question, you always add!!!!!!! you would be charging for cans so charge for the machine, saves a 2 hr drain and refill !!!!!!!!!

Get your self a tool hire price list and charge it out as if you hired it. You've paid for it and at some point you will have to service/repair/replace.

Used one of Ray's hire rothenberger machines today on a cold main that we couldn't isolate. Everything was hunky dory until it defrosted and thawed the pipe that had split due to expanding ice. I wouldn't have minded but it hit me straight in the backside and back. Its quite funny when your legs are shaking with adrenalin as you attempt to cut and cap a pipe live. Good freeze kit with temp gauge in the head. Only criticism is clamp screw amd head wont fit in small places ore tight corners where the freezemaster has an elastic to hold the head in place........Given the choice i would have the freezemaster due to the head fastening, weight and size.

havent had a pipe split yet with a freezemaster, doesnt really help if you cause more damage with the freezer unit!

I'd like to stick up for the Rothy Eco freeze for anyone reading this who can stretch to ÂŁ600 but not to double that. I've had it about 3 years. It's worked 95% of the time and the times it didn't were probably down to water movement or ambient temp. Once it's frozen it has never failed to stay frozen, has never lost the plug. It's easily made it's cost back 5 times over at least. You can charge a premium because you're saving them a drain-down / waiting for waterboard to sort external stopcock. There are better ones available but if you can't afford them it is still 100% worth getting this machine. I don't regret it at all.

I never freeze anything I can't safely check has frozen first.

We had one of them and it was absolute carp. I'd never waste my money on one again and would advise anyone looking to buy one to steer well clear because ours only ever worked when it felt like it and never when you were under pressure to get in and out.

We had one of them and it was absolute carp. I'd never waste my money on one again and would advise anyone looking to buy one to steer well clear because ours only ever worked when it felt like it and never when you were under pressure to get in and out.

Perhaps I got lucky. They made my one proper.

We have three Rofrosts and they have never failed. Never.

I don't have any experience of the others so don't have an opinion on them.

Thanks everyone think I will go for the freezemaster when I have saved enough pennies :)

I've had my Arctic electric for around 10 years and it's still going strong. Never needed recharging. Used it today to swap a snapped gate valve from a communal cold water cistern.

Yes that's the machine I've got. Cost me about a grand when I bought it so that's a very good price. Paid for itself very quickly though as we used to do a lot of work for a hotel and there were no iso valves on loads of stuff. It's not good practice to turn off the water to an entire hotel just to change a tap.

why don't iso valves (full bore if necessary) get used everywhere applicable on a large building like a hotel. it's bonkers.

why don't iso valves (full bore if necessary) get used everywhere applicable on a large building like a hotel. it's bonkers.

Mr DIY must learn from the best . See more and more rads with cheap ISo valves on tails or under tiled floors . Always remove them . Agree on larger systems. We got to re route system in old 1910 school next week. Woop woop. Pipework is horrid full drain down and asbestos blokes in first.

The freezemaster is brill. One very important thing, not in the manual. To keep it working you have to unclip the control panel and top up the reservoir underneath with water. Run the system. It bleeds out air. Repeat until reservoir stays full when run. System will work till the end of its life then.

Thanks for the tip croft, does the I freeze master do 10 -28mm pipe work as the artic electric saids it only comes with 15 and 22mm freeze plates? And if not can you buy other sized freeze plates?

The freeze heads are 28 and it comes with plates to reduce down to 15 and 22. I've also got some plates that allow me to freeze 35.

What about 10 and 12mm as lots of heating systems this size and usually have a lovely new white carpet under them so don't fancy doing it live and prefer to freeze where possible to reduce chance of air locks or blockages from draining whole system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe freezing machine? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock