Search the forum,

Discuss pipe freezing machine?? in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

hi chaps - thinking about investing in one - not sure to go rothenberger or arctic products...any suggestions? pros and cons? much appreciated! thanks dave

I've had a Rothenberger Rofrost for about 5 years and it has been great. It works on pipework 8mm upto 28mm and has never let me down. Can't comment on other manufacturers but would definitely recommend a decent freeze kit, it can save hours and a lot of headaches!!!!

thanks fellas - I went with the rothenberger rofrost - not used in anger yet but tests in workshop were great

I have used one of the same for several years now. Excellent bit of kit and I wouldn't be without it but as WC1 says, damn she's a heavy piece of equipment.

I put mine on my fold up sack truck if I've got to take it more then a few dozen yards.

had a very hairy moment with this last week - kitchen taps needed replacing and couldn't turn off the incoming mains so thought perfect I'll get the rofrost out - stuck clamp on pipe running up into cold tap - waited 6 mins turned tap on and nothing so no bother .....but when I started cutting in to the pipe some drops of water fell down on to the clamp and ruined the plug so all of a sudden I've gone from nothing to full bore - thankfully had an iso valve sitting ready so no harm done kept for the fact I was totally drenched...longest ten seconds of my life

had a very hairy moment with this last week - kitchen taps needed replacing and couldn't turn off the incoming mains so thought perfect I'll get the rofrost out - stuck clamp on pipe running up into cold tap - waited 6 mins turned tap on and nothing so no bother ...but when I started cutting in to the pipe some drops of water fell down on to the clamp and ruined the plug so all of a sudden I've gone from nothing to full bore - thankfully had an iso valve sitting ready so no harm done kept for the fact I was totally drenched...longest ten seconds of my life

not long enough should be around 15 mins open the tap then leave it 5 more mins just to be safe

Rothenberger Rhoforst Turbo, I think I picked on up for about £600 that does up to 28mm pipe. An absolute life saver/game changer.

One question about this item before I buy one well it is two questions in fact.
We lag pipes so they do not freeze in winter. Occasionally if they do, on thawing they may leak due to the ice inside having burst the pipe. How is it that one can freeze the water in a pipe using a unit such as this without running the risk of bursting it? Secondly as I am buying it to be able to replace radaitors over time without having to drain down each time. I can see the unit being used to freeze the supply and return lines and producing an ice plug in each. I now am trying to envisage using end feed fittings with the inherent heat from the blowlamp near the ice plug, will it not melt it rather quickly?

Your only making a plug the water will expand back to the system

yes you will be fine you need to be at least a foot away from the plug tho and keep the machine running

Your only making a plug the water will expand back to the system

yes you will be fine you need to be at least a foot away from the plug tho and keep the machine running
Thanks for the prompt reply I suddenly thought that here I am trying to freeze a pipe then not far away heating it up.
Will order it now.

Some things you might like to consider (Rofrost):
1. The Rothenberger instructions suggest waiting until temperature shows -30. Takes 15 to 20 minutes on 15 mm pipe.
2. I personally wouldn't solder closer than 450 mm (18") to a freeze plug.
3. If using on plastic pipe, tie the freezer head on with a bit of string as well. Plastic can deform as you tighten the head, leaving it a bit loose.
4. If freezing close to a compression fitting, get all the water between freezer head and fitting out as soon as the plug forms. Otherwise the residual water freezes and makes it difficult to get the fitting back together before defrosting.
5. Wear gloves. I have, only once, got mild frostbite from struggling to get a frozen pipe back in place with the freezer head still attached.

Reply to pipe freezing machine?? in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock