Search the forum,

Discuss Pipe depth issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Want to replace my existing 15mm shared water supply for obvious reasons. The current supply in my 1935 built house is around 150mm below ground level outside and around 450mm internally (no DPM).

My issue is, for me to enter the house 750mm below ground level outside, I will need to drill through the foundations. Will seven Trent expect me to do that? Foundations are around 650mm below ground level externally.

Thanks in advance

yes also you will have to sort the pipework out they will just connect there side eg stop tap

unless your paying them for the whole job?

If your foundations are only 650 deep, then surely you'll be drilling under them rather than through them?

yes also you will have to sort the pipework out they will just connect there side eg stop tap

unless your paying them for the whole job?
Thanks, was hoping I wouldn't have to do that. All seems very extreme as never had issues with current supply freezing, and as afar as I know, UK has never had a frost below 6 inches.

Usual overkill to charge more I think.

Thanks, was hoping I wouldn't have to do that. All seems very extreme as never had issues with current supply freezing, and as afar as I know, UK has never had a frost below 6 inches.

i seen it go to a foot on the frost line, depends where you are

was around -20 last year my area without the wind chill

2'6" was in the 1950s model water by-laws, so nothing new. Probably also something to do with keeping the water reasonably cool in summer and to avoid drying and wetting of the ground from stressing the pipe.

2'6" was in the 1950s model water by-laws, so nothing new. Probably also something to do with keeping the water reasonably cool in summer and to avoid drying and wetting of the ground from stressing the pipe.

also less of a risk eg damage from people digging

they do one for flats as well

You can’t just pick and choose the regs because you don’t like them.

You can’t just pick and choose the regs because you don’t like them.
No you can't but to be fair you should also understand what is actually required & the Water Regulations States that you should notify if a mains is laid less than 750mm deep (or more than 1350mm) What it doesn't say is that they MUST go that deep which is why Groundbreaker can be used with written approval. G7.7 & G7.8

View attachment R7-8b.jpg

In Cuba, there was a government advert on the television showing that you shouldn't run your supply pipe across the pavement in case people trip up on it. I thought it was a nice way to put it instead of threatening people with court action as happens here: at least you get an explanation.

To Chris Watkins: notify yes, but in advance and then see if your proposal gets approved, though. It's more like a request than notification, really.

G7.8
Where compliance with the minimum cover of 750mm is impracticable, and with the written approval of the Water Undertaker, the water fittings should be installed as deep as is practicable below the finished ground level and be adequately protected against damage from freezing and from any other cause.

G7.8
Where compliance with the minimum cover of 750mm is impracticable, and with the written approval of the Water Undertaker, the water fittings should be installed as deep as is practicable below the finished ground level and be adequately protected against damage from freezing and from any other cause.
Exactly. 'And with written approval'. I know a plumber in Wales that got down 650 and then hit a solid lump of slate. Dwr Cymru was asked for permission to run the pipe less than 750 deep. Dwr Cymru denied permission. Plumber spent a day with a Kango.

Oh yes. What I meant was that applying to the water undertaker for permission to bury a pipe less deeply is by no means a surefire way of getting permission.

Absolutely:

If within ten working days of receipt of a valid notification by the water supplier, consent is neither granted nor refused, it is deemed to have been granted. This does not alter the obligation upon the installer and owner or occupier to see that the Regulations are fully met.

The worrying thing is that, I'm sure I've read that the last sentence means that if the board decides your proposal does not meet the regulations, they can still require you to rip it out and start again. In any case, the OP should bear in mind that, if the pipe is laid shallow, there are some specific requirements to be met, as detailed in the WRAS book, happy to post a photo if the OP wants to have a look?

I'm fairly sure, however, that the avoidance of drilling under a foundation (thus drilling through the foundation instead) will not be accepted as a valid reason for not complying with the required depths.

It does still ultimately boil down to the fact that there are regulations in place and people always try and look for ways round them.

Reply to Pipe depth issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock