Search the forum,

Discuss Pinhole in Black Alkathene 17.5 3/8" under concrete driveway in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Pinhole in Black Alkathene 17.5 3/8" under concrete driveway.

Hello, we have managed to 'dink' the mains water supply to our house, during some excavations for a drain.

And we are hoping for some advice on the best way to proceed. The leak is only a pinhole, but after a few days it has escaped from our current remedy - self-amalgamating tape and hose clips.

The options seem to be:
1) chop the pipe in half and repair with an imperial brass coupler - I can't find any of these in stock at present
2) same chop but with a universal plastic coupler - 17-21mm
3) don't chop it - but try again with SA tape and hose clips, but do a better job
4) some other repair method I have not found?
99) dig up the 20ft long concrete drive and replace with a new pipe [this seems fairly impossible at present]

any advice gratefully received - thanks
pinhole1.jpg

pinhole2.jpg

3/8 alkathene (sometimes known as normal gauge) is repairable we tend to use Plasson fittings .
They make a 3/8 x 20 mm adapter from memory its dark green 2 of those plus a 20mm socket job done.
Having said that I would look at replacement,.
Alkathene should never ever be near both drains and gas pipes you were supposed to keep them 3 ft apart.
It's gas permeable and all sorts of nasties can transfer to the water supply.
For that reason M D P E was brought in.

Philmac utc 3/4 compression both sided

Old alkathene can be problematic once disturbed. Repair it for now is fine but don't spend money putting a new drive or having some landscaping done until you've replaced the entire length with mdpe. You may not need to dig the entire length as a mole can do it with minimal disturbance. Alternatively if you already have the plant on site to do it and you plan on staying there for the significant future, bite the bullet and do it now.

Reply to Pinhole in Black Alkathene 17.5 3/8" under concrete driveway in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock