Search the forum,

Discuss Photocell issue How to test it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Inverness

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi guys. When the riello burner is firing when I pull out the photocell and cover it up the flame goes out then comes back on? Can you tell me how I can test the photocell so I know it working?
The boiler firebird it's starting to lockout at the burner every so often I have noticed the oil pump sound crunchy when it's spinning. But I wanted to test the photocell first.

If you have a decent multi meter set to Ohms and test across the contacts pointing the cell into the light, note reading then put it in the shade, the readings should be vastly different, can't remember what they are supposed to be, but very different. Photo cell is a push fit onto the control box, slide it forward to get it off.

Is it the oil pump crunching or the fan, the fans act like a vacuum cleaner and will suck in all sorts of debris.

There is a filter inside the oil pump front face, don't know how experienced you are, but you may be able to take the cover plate off and clean out the filter, without disturbing the settings of the pump, if you are not sure about this then get in a boiler tech to do it for you.

I first would fix whatever is causing the noise! Riello cells don’t give bother much anyhow.
Riello burners are well known for oil pumps wearing and intermittently seizing. Doing an oil pressure test is meaningless.
Also bearings need replaced (one nearest oil pump usually goes first).
Use your ears and your eyes first.

Basically what I am saying is just because an electrical control box is doing its job and locking out regularly, doesn’t mean you have an electrical fault!

Warmflow boiler runs from cold perfect but after bout 30mins cuts out and fan still running if I switch it off for bout 30mins n then back on again it runs again for bout 40 mins any ideas ?

Warmflow boiler runs from cold perfect but after bout 30mins cuts out and fan still running if I switch it off for bout 30mins n then back on again it runs again for bout 40 mins any ideas ?
Solenoid perhaps, but no point throwing parts at it as it could be other faults, control box or oil pump losing drive, or oil starvation (blocked oil filter).

Reply to Photocell issue How to test it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock