Search the forum,

Discuss Part P in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mike pollard

Hi Folks.
I am a part p plumber, but as yet am not registered. Although I have a Robin KTS 1620 tester it's too complicated for me. I came across the Socket and See PDL 200 and it appears to be pretty simple. Could anyone tell me if this would be enough to test a typical job (shower/fan/lights etc) and fill in the relevant test certificate.
Cheers.
Mike

No you can not use the plug in tester to carry out official tests, it can be used as a safety check for your self only and any faults it picks up should be tested further with correct instrumentation
Some of the testers can be complicated if you have not used them before, pursume you are not sure about some of the settings required, what you need is someone to show you how to operate it, once show often easier, try your local college, training centre, they will not charge alot to go through with you or ring robin up and see if they have a training video for their equipment

Hi! Mike.

As puddle says you probably need a lesson on how to use your tester. It seems to cover 16th edition test regs and it may cover the current 17th.

But in learning how to use it, you will also probably get to know what is required and why, for the tests themselves.

I'm sorry but if you don't know whats involved in testing you should not be doing electrical work as for using a plug in tester is this a wind up!

I agree.

To become registered to notify jobs, you must prove competence in electrical work and testing.

Wind up.

If it isnt then, i dunno.

I'm sorry but if you don't know whats involved in testing you should not be doing electrical work as for using a plug in tester is this a wind up!
I know exactly what is required, as I successfully completed the Part P course and am taking the next step, but thanks for the lesson.
If you take the trouble to look at the Socket and See website you'll see that the model I suggested is aimed at plumbers and heating engineers.
This is the first time I've used the forum, and don't think I'll bother again if I have to suffer snide comments in response to a gentle enquiry.

Hi! Mike,

I think the lads think you want to issue Part P full scale test certificates on the evidence supplied from a Plug top tester. Instead of the barrage of tests requiring a sophisticated tester like the Robin.

You can get a Socket and See plug top tester of course for testing wall sockets before you plug in a boiler. But that is only to ensure the system is okay, not to issue proper full scale Part P test certificates.

I am sorry for any misunderstandings you may have got from my mail.

It would be great if the IEEE accepted plug top testers for Part P testing, but as far as I know they don't.

Hi Mike, I can understand your concerns about using a complex tester but please persevere. I too was daunted with the testing at first but once I started to use the equipment, read the manual and a few books I gained confidence. The reason I am suggesting stick with the tester you have is that once you are confident then you can make a better informed decision on what you would really like to buy.
I practised on the circuits in my own house to gain experience. Finallly the Socket and See kit is good but so is Megger, Fluke etc. Have a look at Test4Less site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Part P in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock