Search the forum,

Discuss Parallel or tapered threads on new rads? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All, I'm learning loads of new stuff by reading threads on this excellent forum (old dog too!)... but last night I was reading on here about rads and extension tails, and followed a link to a Screwfix product that was a tapered tail,.. but reading the Q&As there, the 1st Q asked if it was NOW a tapered thread... suggesting that previously the product had a parallel thread (probably by mistake?) Which has got me wondering which type of thread to expect on a new rad. Here's the link:
I'm particularly interested as I'm replacing a rad in the near future....
Thanks for any advice!

The female thread in the rad is normally parallel. The male thread entering it is supposed to be tapered so that it tightens into the female. With the use of jointing compound or PTFE etc. That tightening creates the joint. If done correctly, it won't leak.

Some rad valve manufacturers use what appear to be parallel threads on their rad tails. This means that the male thread will screw all the way into the female until it reaches the end. The joint relies on an abundance of PTFE (or whatever else) to prevent it from leaking. It may work for a time but I personally wouldn't leave it like that. The joint is useless.

Buy good quality rad valves with properly made tails is my advice.

Reply to Parallel or tapered threads on new rads? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock