Search the forum,

Discuss "Ox" brand olive cutters - nfg in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

WC1

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Replacing 15 x stopcocks @ 22mm thought I'd try cutters as usually I pull 'em and space was tight.
These Ox brand 22mm cutters just deform the olive and score the pipe.
The jaws don't close properly as witnessed by the burr where the handles meet (pictured) preventing cutting of the olive.
Cost me a load of junior hacksaw and screwdriver which I could have done without.
Load of carp.
:mad::mad::mad:

I gave up on olive pullers and splitters. The pullers only fit one of the two common nut thread types and I had two olive splitters in a row have their blade break as if they were ridiculously over-hardened. They only need to cut copper and brass so I don't know what that's all about.

I feel your pain on having to do so many of them but I just do it the old fashioned way. If they weren't over tightened in the first place I can usually give them a bit of a squeeze with pump pliers in a couple of places and slide them off. If not it back to the old hacksaw and screwdriver method.

Looking at the reviews on Amazon - you're not on your own, lots of bad reviews.
The monument ones that look almost the same work a lot better if the reviews are anything to go by, £30 a pair though. Not a bad price if you're doing 15 stop taps in one go.

I wrote to ox and said "these things dont work"
They said "sorry about that, we'll send you a refund"
They did not say "what was the problem"
Either they know the problem but are selling them anyway or they don't know the problem and don't care.
I'll try the monument next time.
[automerge]1583515285[/automerge]
I think I managed to attach the picture that time, I've really lost interest in the forum since the facelift- much harder to use imo.

Attachments

• 20200305_200129.jpg
    20200305_200129.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 8

Reply to "Ox" brand olive cutters - nfg in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

Here are some similar plumbing topics

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock