Search the forum,

Discuss Overflowing urinal cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan-HybridHeat

Gas Engineer
Been asked to look at a urinal cistern that is constantly dripping - never dealt with them before. As far as I was aware they were on timed electronic devices that released every so often.

I've come across this which is constantly passing and causing the urinals to drip constantly, any ideas what it is/how it works? At some points the cistern still does a full flush as it should.

http://i.*********/jrsJfSd.jpg

have a look at cistermiser

and tbh thats normally and very doubt full there a solenoid inline and while your there replace the auto flush theres two types (different heights)

No cistermiser, literally a CW pipe coming through the loft and into that valve. Will change the siphon, any idea what that valve's called?

Last edited:
The valve on the end is a pet cock, either put a new one on or just put an isolation valve and drip the water into the cistern , time it for a flush every 15/20 mins

Lol , the pic shows a steady slow flow of water , so it will make the syphon flush , ( its been a long day and I am on the Jack Daniels , dont make me work so hard lol )

Lol , the pic shows a steady slow flow of water , so it will make the syphon flush , ( its been a long day and I am on the Jack Daniels , dont make me work so hard lol )

:D think he means its dripping into the :nono: pot

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan, is the flow from the pet cock as steady as it looks on the pic ?

If its dripping steadily from the petcock into the cistern, and flushing periodically, its working exactly as designed.

If its dripping steadily from the urinal spreaders, then its the auto-syphon thats gone.

If its dripping from anywhere else - somethings leaking! :)

Start again ...... If the pet cock is letting a small steady flow of water into the cistern and the auto syphon is at its flush level , it will leak the same amount back into the urinal . Or have I had toooooo much jack daniels lol.

Put a new pet cock on or iso valve in the morning it wont do any harm to pull out the syphon out and clean it and give it a go.

Hopefully nobody has chucked anything in the cistern .

Start again ...... If the pet cock is letting a small steady flow of water into the cistern and the auto syphon is at its flush level , it will leak the same amount back into the urinal . Or have I had toooooo much jack daniels lol.

Put a new pet cock on or iso valve in the morning it wont do any harm to pull out the syphon out and clean it and give it a go.

or else you might have smurf hands

Did find a suspicious looking bag on top of it, definitely won't be putting my hands in without looking...

Pet cock is adjustable ..although under regs you are supposed to fit water saving device I.e cistermiser to save water...although a complete overhaul would not go a miss ....auto syphon sized according to size of cistern and amount of urinal's known as range of ...1 ..2..3.etc...regards Turnpin:smile5:

if itis filling as fast as its emptying it will constantly flush if it flushes and stops but still drips water must be passing into the syphon tube

Fit a timer for the syphon that what we had to do the other day in a school

Fit a timer for the syphon that what we had to do the other day in a school

doesnt make sense mate if you fit a timer to the syphon you would over flow the bowl

but if you mean fit a solenoid and timer to the mains would make more sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Overflowing urinal cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have to replace the flush valve and/or the washer but unfortunately it's inside the vanity unit. The only way is removing the toilet. I turned the screw on the cistern pipe to stop the water. I removed all the silicon around the toilet, now I can easily lift up the Front panel but...
Replies
Views
My cistern kept overflowing randomly was told it was probably caused by the bottom filling valve failing I purchased one and a plumber fitted it and tested it and all seemed well, we where away for a couple of weeks and came back and there was no evidence that it had been overflowing but after...
Replies
Views
I have a ROS small faucet for drinking water. The main faucet in the kitchen works find. I recently replaced the main faucet but after reconnecting everything, the overflow on the ROS drinking water faucet will not stop running. The only thing connected to the ROS that I manipulated was an...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm a female plumber, so don't much encounter a urinal (especially as I usually only do domestic work). I've been sent pics of something that has broken in a urinal - it's the flush valve. As I gather, the urinal cistern fills up gradually, and flushes through every so often. A link...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock