Search the forum,

Discuss Overflowing cold water tank, fixed for good? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

We recently return from Xmas holls to find that there’d be a leak in our attic, which has caused some staining on one of the walls. When taking a look myself I couldn’t really see where the leak was coming from, but the water was mainly below the cold water tank and the ply cover on top was wet, suggesting it might have overflowed.

We called for an emergency plumber and he found that the ball valve was set too high, so a small trickle of water was still coming in when the tank was nearly full. He thought the tank had overflowed because while we were away it wasn’t being regularly drained. He fixed the problem by bending the rod on the valve so it’d sit lower in the tank. We’d noticed some water coming out of the overflow in recent weeks, so this all seemed to add up.

I’m now wondering whether this is a long term fixed for the problem or not. The emergency plumber said it was and that no more action needed to be taken. However, I can’t help asking how, if the position of the ball valve was only causing a small dribble, the tank was able to overflow. In particular I’m worried that we have a problem with the overflow pipe (e.g. fully or partially clogged) that’ll lead to problems in the future.

Would it be a good idea to get someone round to take a look at the overflow? Or am I just being a worrier.

Thanks for your advice in advance :).

Further action required.
If you've had water inside something is leaking, possibly the overflow pipe.
Unless the ball valve or it's washer have been changed in the last few years, then that could do with changing.

Adjusting the float means it will take just longer before it starts leaking.

Further action required.
If you've had water inside something is leaking, possibly the overflow pipe.
Unless the ball valve or it's washer have been changed in the last few years, then that could do with changing.

Adjusting the float means it will take just longer before it starts leaking.

Your plumber was a lazy s0d.
Get the valve changed or rebuilt (must be a Part two valve) and have it set up properly as Snowhead has suggested. Lave should be 60mm off top of tank and overflow 90mm

As well as rebuilding or replacing the valve as advised by Snowhead & YorkshireDave, you could do with getting a different plumber out to check your overflow is plumber in properly and not blocked, any excess water should not have ended up on your attic floor!

Thanks very much for all of your very helpful replies. I’ll get a different plumber around once the bank holidays have passed. The one who came around was sent by our home insurance company’s emergency assistance — it might have even just been a general handyman rather than a plumber.

Any recommendations for a trustworthy plumber in York?

Thanks very much!

When taking a look myself I couldn’t really see where the leak was coming from, but the water was mainly below the cold water tank and the ply cover on top was wet, suggesting it might have overflowed.

Have you considered the possibility that you have a leaking roof that by coincidence has been dripping onto your tank from above?

It's still absolutely essential to check the over-flow is installed and working correctly. A blocked or leaking overflow can cause a lot of damage and it's only a ten minute job to test.

Reply to Overflowing cold water tank, fixed for good? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock