Search the forum,

Discuss Overflow running when heating or hot water on in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, I have a customer with open vented system,cold feed from f&e tank is teed into flow just above cylinder coil where in enters attic as expansion/vent which terminates through roof
The tank overflows whenever heating or hot water is on and stops as soon as boiler/pump goes off,so it’s definitely filling tank through feed pipe
A new boiler,3 port valve have recently been fitted but this ongoing problem is still occurring
I thought coil maybe had pinhole but surely this would cause overflow to continually run as water tried to self level against cwst for cylinder
I’m at a loss how it’s happening only when boiler and pump on wether heating or hot water on
Any pointers or advice greatly appreciated

How is the vent, cold fill and pump positioned? Vent and cold fill should be before the pump

Attachments

• D71101C2-4BFC-4390-BA0D-AD2489129AD1.jpeg
    D71101C2-4BFC-4390-BA0D-AD2489129AD1.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 55
If that is genuinely how its piped up then that is dangerous.
Is that a diverter or mid position valve? Not that that makes any difference.
As it is the combined vent and cold feed are only able to function when in HW mode, if there was an overheating problem when in CH mode only then there's nowhere for the water to vent. Also when in HW mode the pump is most likely venting over, im assuming you're seeing it overflow down and off the roof?
If what ive said above is correct this needs to be redone ASAP and there a several ways to go about it, the best way will be to reposition vent and cold fill before the pump on the flow before three port.

Last edited:
If that is genuinely how its piped up then that is dangerous.
Is that a diverter or mid position valve? Not that that makes any difference.
As it is the combined vent and cold feed are only able to function when in HW mode, if there was an overheating problem when in CH mode only then there's nowhere for the water to vent. Also when in HW mode the pump is most likely venting over, im assuming you're seeing it overflow down and off the roof?
If what ive said above is correct this needs to be redone ASAP and there a several ways to go about it, the best way will be to reposition vent and cold fill before the pump on the flow before three port.
No it’s overflowing through the overflow pipe
It’s a mid position valve
Would you recommend changing pump onto flow or would changing cold feed and vent be enough
Thanks

First off I would reposition pump to the primary flow 150mm after the tee for vent and cold fill. This will make it safe and should prevent the problem you're experiencing. Also at the moment the majority of the system is under negative pressure so you could be drawing in air and have sludge/corrosion problems

Would you recommend changing pump onto flow or would changing cold feed and vent be enough
Thanks

You say that its returning through the cold fill even on CH, if so, and if the 3 port valve is installed&working correctly then from your sketch it would seem that the only way this can happen is that the water flows through the rads and then up the return at the T just before the pump suction, then through the cylinder coil and back into the F&E tank which seems highly improbable.
[automerge]1593979747[/automerge]
My 48 year old system is very like that with combined vent & cold feed except that I have 2 port valves, I run my circ pump with a 3M head.

Last edited:
The above is for a Y plan when he has a W plan, not that it makes any difference. As I said there's several ways to repipe in this situation but the most common way is V,C,P on the flow, that is vent then cold fill within 150mm of each other, creating the neutral point of the system and then the pump shortly after. This will prevent any pumping over, while leaving the vent uncompromised for safety purposes and will also provide a positive pressure throughout the system.

Correct but I feel there is still some other fundamental problem there as that system on HW only should IMO work perfectly OK with no pump back.

I agree, something doesn't quite add up. With its current position the head of water in header tank should not pump over, all the system will be doing is circulating under a negative pressure
[automerge]1593986763[/automerge]
Its quite possible the system is sludged up due to the negative pressure the majority of the system is under in operation causing blockages enough to create a path of resistance and vent over
[automerge]1593991160[/automerge]
Edit : Not that, something doesn't add up

Last edited:
Piped wrong bud it should be like this . Kop
The above is for a Y plan when he has a W plan, not that it makes any difference. As I said there's several ways to repipe in this situation but the most common way is V,C,P on the flow, that is vent then cold fill within 150mm of each other, creating the neutral point of the system and then the pump shortly after. This will prevent any pumping over, while leaving the vent uncompromised for safety purposes and will also provide a positive pressure throughout the system.
as you say not much difference

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200706-061218.png
    Screenshot_20200706-061218.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20200706-061124.png
    Screenshot_20200706-061124.png
    162.7 KB · Views: 18
Thanks

Possible sludge build up/blockage - I would have had the F&E tee'd into the coil return, rather than the flow?

Last edited:
The vent and cold feed are combined so as that there is no imbalance between them which prevents pump over through the vent or pump back through the cold feed, this seems very strange as water must be pumping back into the F&E tank to create that overflow but what is replacing it as the ballcock will be shut?. It would seem unlikely that there is a blockage as the water seems to be flowing freely back up through the combined F&E.
Maybe Grahamrae has found the solution.

The vent and cold feed are combined so as that there is no imbalance between them which prevents pump over through the vent or pump back through the cold feed, this seems very strange as water must be pumping back into the F&E tank to create that overflow but what is replacing it as the ballcock will be shut?. It would seem unlikely that there is a blockage as the water seems to be flowing freely back up through the combined F&E.
Maybe Grahamrae has found the solution.

It shouldn't be going up the vent, but only up the cold feed (due to expansion of the heated water). There could be sludge build up/blockage at the tee on the coil flow, or wherever its tee'd into the Vent?
Wonder what is the pump setting on - should only be on 1/lowest speed?

"No it’s overflowing through the overflow pipe" post #13 and not the vent?.

Ah! I misread the Post - maybe too much water in the Header Tank initially, as expansion is only about 4% of total system volume. The standing water level should only be just above the outlet - no more than about 3 - 4".
Ball valve may be faulty etc?

Its very mysterious because he also said that the overflow stopped as soon as the circ pump stopped.

Water level could be too high and just below the overflow? Consequently, when pumping level rises and goes out of overflow - when pump stops, the excess water has escaped down the overflow, and the level has dropped just below it.
He needs to tell us how much water is in the Header Tank.

You have a point there, but my logic is that with the pump off there is no overflow so the ballcock isn't making up, pump on you get constant overflow but as the level has to be fractionally higher in order to overflow then the ballcock certainly can't/shouldn't be making up so where is the makeup coming from?, but I agree C&F tank levels should be checked cold/hot and go from there.

You have a point there, but my logic is that with the pump off there is no overflow so the ballcock isn't making up, pump on you get constant overflow but as the level has to be fractionally higher in order to overflow then the ballcock certainly can't/shouldn't be making up so where is the makeup coming from?, but I agree C&F tank levels should be checked cold/hot and go from there.

The 'make up' is coming from the expanded heated water, which rises up the cold water feed - hence Feed & Expansion.

It can't just keep overflowing each time the pump comes on or due to the expanded volume without external make up after the first overflow.

The thermal expansion coefficient of water changes with temperature. Water in heating systems typically expands around 1.5% when heated to say 70°c, not 4 %. Having said that something here doesn't quite add up.

It can't just keep overflowing each time the pump comes on or due to the expanded volume without external make up after the first overflow.

Then either the initial level is far too high, or the ball valve isn't shutting off fully.
The system volume expands by about 4 per cent when heated, so a system containing 100 litres would expand by 4 litres in volume.

The system volume expands at different percentages at different temperatures. For it to expand roughly 4% you would be heating the system water to close to 90-95°c. Most systems will expand around 1.5-2% when heated between 60-70°c and even less in low temperature systems which are becoming ever more frequent.
Looking at the OP initial diagram again it is possible the resistance of the HW and CH circuits are greater than through the boiler and combined cold feed and vent, which will cause the water to take the path of least resistance and back up said pipe. Of course an excessively high cold fill line would aid in the problem. If it was a faulty ballvalve I'd expect it to overflow regardless of whether or not CH or HW were on.

Reply to Overflow running when heating or hot water on in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock