Search the forum,

Discuss Overflow from cold water tank won’t stop in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Please can anyone give me advice. The overflow from my cold water tank started dripping so I changed the complete valve and ball. I set the ball to maximum on the arm and still it continues to trickle water. Would changing the 4 1/2 inch ball to a 6 inch ball help. Any help to stop this irritating problem would be very much appreciated.

If you lift the arm up does it stop also you did change the float also ?

I would put a mark on the tank at the water level and hold the ball up is the level dropping etc

When the ball valve begins to close, is the water level already very close to the overflow outlet? Or when it closes, is the water level way below (ie a few dentimetres) the overflow, and then over time the water level creeps up?
If the former, the float needs to be adjusted so the valve turns fully off at a lower water level. I used to adjust this by bending the brass arm down a bit, but no doubt the professionals will advise me of the proper method!
If the latter, the new valve is passing, or there is a leak into the tank somehow.

When the ball valve begins to close, is the water level already very close to the overflow outlet? Or when it closes, is the water level way below (ie a few dentimetres) the overflow, and then over time the water level creeps up?
If the former, the float needs to be adjusted so the valve turns fully off at a lower water level. I used to adjust this by bending the brass arm down a bit, but no doubt the professionals will advise me of the proper method!
If the latter, the new valve is passing, or there is a leak into the tank somehow.
The correct way if the water level is already very close to the overflow would have been to install the ballcock at the correct height in the first place.

In practice, if the hole for the ballcock (float valve) has already been drilled too high, it comes down to what is reasonably practical in the circumstances. You could find a way to blank off the incorrect hole and start again. However, since the older-style 'Portsmouth' valves were adjusted by bending the float arm, I would suggest (at the hypothetical risk of inducing stress-fractures in the brass rod) that if you were to bend the rod this might seem to be a reasonable way of bringing the adjustment range somewhere closer to being useful.

I'm assuming there is a re-enforcement plate fitted behind the valve and that the tank wall isn't bending under the pressure of the float? There should be one, but there often isn't.

Reply to Overflow from cold water tank won’t stop in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock