Search the forum,

Discuss Output from new thermostatic valve locks on hot and no warm water in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I have a problem with my new concealed shower unit from Bristan, detailed below, I either get to much hot water or cold water but never warm.
"Bristan PM2 SHC3STP C Prism Recessed Thermostatic Dual Control Shower Valve with Two Integral Stopcocks, Chrome, Three Outlet"

Background
  • Gravity fed system
  • Electric shower pump
  • Only connected the bath for now
  • Previously a 22mm pipework now 15mm thermostatic valve
  • Cold water pressure very good at ground kitchen sink level
  • Bathroom pictures in first floor of house.
  • Instructions of Bristan install followed see attached.
Problem
  • I either get hot water ( v hot) or cold but no warm despite moving the water temp valve.
  • If I start at Max cold the bath will deliver cold water whether pump is off or on.
  • If I start at Max cold turn to hot then back again to max cold the water temp stays very hot, whether pump on or off.
Testing
  • With water temp set Max Cold turn on the bath tap on and get lots of cold water no issue.
  • With water temp set Max Hot turn on the bath tap on and get lots of hot water no issue.
  • With water tap set to Max cold, output cold, then set to medium, the water gets very hot and despite setting to Max cold it never returns to cold.
  • Both the above tests were done with pump on and pump off configurations and similar results concluded.
Please suggest problem areas?

Attachments

• instructions.JPG
    instructions.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220522_192403.jpg
    20220522_192403.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220522_194420.jpg
    20220522_194420.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220522_192430.jpg
    20220522_192430.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220522_194456.jpg
    20220522_194456.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220522_195037.jpg
    20220522_195037.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 9
I think the symptoms are typical of hot and cold transposed.
The whole unit is not on the wall the wrong way up, is it?
Intrigued by the fact the knobs on yours are pointing upwards, but on all the pics on the web they point down.
(I appreciate you can probably put the knobs on pointing any direction!)

The whole unit looks rather symmetrical - I'm afraid I can't see any distinguishing features to tell if the above is just a stupid suggestion!!
PS I now think HOT is marked on the casting, so my suggestion is probably way off!

Last edited:
I think the symptoms are typical of hot and cold transposed.
The whole unit is not on the wall the wrong way up, is it?
Intrigued by the fact the knobs on yours are pointing upwards, but on all the pics on the web they point down.
(I appreciate you can probably put the knobs on pointing any direction!)

The whole unit looks rather symmetrical - I'm afraid I can't see any distinguishing features to tell if the above is just a stupid suggestion!!
PS I now think HOT is marked on the casting, so my suggestion is probably way off!
After checking the face of the knob upwards I think you are correct, there were no distinguishing marks on the body (completely blank) I will turn it around and try again. Many thanks!

Reply to Output from new thermostatic valve locks on hot and no warm water in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock