Search the forum,

Discuss outdoor kitchen water supply in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Do I need an anti-siphon valve for a dedicated outdoor Kitchen water supply ... supply comes from the house, out the brick wall next a spigot.

Seems overkill ! ... is there a freeze protection rational for it ?

all out side taps should have a (stop tap) inside so you can turn it off in winter and leav the outside tap open,

Inside should have (in order from mains inlet):
1. Double check valve.
2. Isolation valve.
3. Tee to outside tap.
4. Drain off point.
Outside should have (in order from inside):
1. The outside tap. If new and double check valve fitted inside property, no check valve within tap.
2. If appropriate (depending on pipe runs), further drain off point.

Ideally. (above)
I could count on 1 hand the number I've come across with all or even most of the above.
Also sleeving through wall?

Ideally. (above)
I could count on 1 hand the number I've come across with all or even most of the above.
Also sleeving through wall?
Yes, should be sleeved through wall. I tend to try to avoid the need for drain valves as they are only an additional item and source of maintenance work that most customers will never make use of anyway. Sometimes the water can be run down to the outside tap and then the tap can act as the drain-off point, but it depends on the circumstances. I also tend to isolate before the check valve rather than after, but I can't swear I'm doing it right.

This is assuming the OP is talking about an outside tap in the UK for use with a handheld hose to spray fresh water on the garden etc. and not for sprinkler systems, soaker hoses, use with pesticides or similar in which case a double check valve is considered insufficient backflow protection. But if he's American, our UK-legistlation-centric comments aren't all that useful really, though they may give some idea.

To be honest, I thought the OP was talking about an outside kitchen, so I'm wondering if this is about an outbuilding, or some kind of new-wave alternative living arrangement, so I'm still not sure!

wow ! ... not quite sure what to do with all that.

In the event of Texas Freeze #2 accompanied by a complete loss of power, the plan is to shut off the water before the main enters the house and drain the entire system to a newly installed bleeder spigot.

That being said, do I really need all of the valving that was described above ??

I have attached a pic of the original setup with new fittings, outdoor kitchen sink supply (red stop valve) and my pool filler supply (AS valve)... for the purpose of the forum pic I re-assembled the setup and I have it going into the wrong side of the AS valve.

My question was about the anti-siphon and its purpose in this configuration, I understand its purpose for a sprinkler system.

Attachments

• IMG_4709 croppped.jpg
    IMG_4709 croppped.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 14
Are you discussing a pipe that runs from yor main house to a kitchen outbuilding and to your swimming pool supply via an anti-siphon valve?

Most people here thought you were on about a garden tap.

Your picture above is cropped, so does not help much, sadly.

Problem is there will still be water in the pipe eg to the kitchen you would have to blow that out with a compressor to be totally water free

1618420866621.png

The above is what I can see.

I cannot advise on US legislation, however:

1. I can understand why you might require an anti-siphon valve to the swimming pool. Swimming pool water not drinkable and not wanting it possibly being sucked back into mains in event of a fault.

2. I can also understand why you would want to dedicate the siphon-proof section to the pool supply and not share this with the kitchen. In the event of a fault, you'd want to separate drinking water from non-drinking water else you could contaminate your own kitchen water supply.

3. I don't understand why you would need the water to the kitchen itself to be protected from backflow as the water to the kitchen logically will be drinking water and so would not contaminate the mains if the mains sucks the clean water out of your kitchen pipework. Unless the pipework is run outside, in which case there may be a rationale to protect the main house from water sat in outdoor pipework.

4. I would suggest that any water run in above-ground outdoor pipework and not very well insulated might not really be considered drinking water due to the risk of bacteria breeding in the pipework if the water were to stagnate and get warm in hot weather.

Shaun... I agree with the "blow out" as they do when winterizing sprinkler systems, which is why I bought a valve with a bleeder. In a perfect world, this valve would be below grade with a bleeder to drain the system to the OK. We don't winterize down here, I typically will be using my OK all winter. I am looking to protect the OK in the event of a hard freeze, which took its toll this year.

Ric... Thanks I completely understand the AS purpose in my setup, protection from the pool ! I just wanted to make sure I needed the AS before putting humpty back together. Its kinda hard to see but the T of the configuration I am holding goes up to the AS valve then on to the pool fill, that same T goes down the 90 to the new valve I am installing for the OK supply, bypassing the AS altogether.

Shaun... I agree with the "blow out" as they do when winterizing sprinkler systems, which is why I bought a valve with a bleeder. In a perfect world, this valve would be below grade with a bleeder to drain the system to the OK. We don't winterize down here, I typically will be using my OK all winter. I am looking to protect the OK in the event of a hard freeze, which took its toll this year.

if you can install the gate valve (red handle) between the bleeder and the tee, then install another gate valve (red handle) on one end of the tee and fee the kitchen / outdoor equipment from the other end of the tee

that will let you close off to the bleeder and use compressed air to blow out the rest then open the top valve so the bleeder can do its job

Shaun, in an effort to simplify, why can't I use the existing setup to "blow out" the OK line using compressed air into the valve's small bleeder hole (red handle)... with the valve closed the air should clear the down line system, right ?

The red handle valve is a stop waster valve, I also have a ball valve with a bleeder I can use, which might be a better choice.

I am attaching an un-cropped pic for more detail... there are two pvc pipes over lapping in the pic (lower) goes directly to the OK supply.

Attachments

• IMG_4709 resolution.jpg
    IMG_4709 resolution.jpg
    681.9 KB · Views: 7

Reply to outdoor kitchen water supply in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I cannot isolate my toilet water supply for a quick-fix, as the valve/tap is buried beneath tiling by whoever built the place. All other taps in the flat just isolate the kitchen. Is the green switch next to my water meter in this blurry photo a stopcock? It is underwater because there seems...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have an old toilet on the top floor (to be removed) which empties into an outdoor vertical SVP and into the ground. The pipe is straight with a vent terminal on top. Another toilet on the ground floor empties through the suspended timber floor into (what I suspect) a drain. I wish...
Replies
Views
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed supply and all 6 in the block have a shared rising main pipe (I think unless there is meant to be more than one). Kitchen: From the ground floor to...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock