Search the forum,

Discuss Optimum setting on Salus thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi.
Just had this therm' installed and mostly we have it set on manual as we're at home a lot of the time.
I decided I would try the "optimum" start setting for when it's on Auto and set to come on in the morning.
I think I've set it for optimum start and as a test I set time period 2 for 09.50 and temp at 23.5c
The thermostat is flashing Optimum and the gas flame is flashing but the boiler hasn't come on.
Temperature is 20c.

Is it something to do with the time/temperature setting for time period 3?

I recently had a Salus thermostat fitted to and it was doing a similar thing coming on when it wanted. If you look on YouTube there’s good videos explaining how to set them if you’re in doubt you’ve set it wrong, could be worth checking.

I recently had a Salus thermostat fitted to and it was doing a similar thing coming on when it wanted. If you look on YouTube there’s good videos explaining how to set them if you’re in doubt you’ve set it wrong, could be worth checking.
Thanks. I'll do that. It had obviously registered that it had been set to Optimum as it was flashing. I think it's more likely that I don't know what I'm doing! Instructions are what you might call basic.

No such setting on any thermostat.

Optimum for me, is not for you.

Ffs, I can be sat in a pair of shorts with heating off but wife with fleecy pj's, dressing gown and blanket over her still wants heating on.

Sorry late on the party. But did you manage to run optimum start/stop properly.
Mine does the same: basically, optimum start does not start heating before the setpoint, it keeps flashing about 30min after the setpoint without heating.

I too have installed a couple of these and get flashing OPTIMUM and STOP late in the evening maybe 30 minutes before the heating is due to be off. No doubt I get the same in the morning for OPTIMUM START but I'm not up early enough to see it! I agree the instructions are a bit vague, but suspect the meaning is as follows:-
For those who do not understand optimum settings, the idea is that you set the time you want the room to be up to your set temperature and leave the thermostat to decide when to turn the boiler on to achieve this. It's clever because it knows how well it did this for various room temperatures over the recent few days and is able to predict pretty well and so, on a warm night the room temperature will be higher than on a cold night and the stat will turn the boiler on later so saving gas but still getting your room toasty at the set time.
Similar for the end of day turn off.
The flashing optimum start/finish messages simply tell tell you that the stat is in the time zone between which it might decide to come on but is not on (hence flashing "on" symbol). I think there is a maximum 2 hours leeway in the mornings so, if the stat thinks it can get to toasty by the set time by coming on only 1 1/2 hours before the set time it will show flashing optimum start for the first 30 minutes and then the boiler will fire and the "on" symbol will stop flashing, and show solid. Similar for the evening turn off. I suspect this behaviour will only occur for period 1 (optimum start) and period 5 (optimum stop) prior to period 6 which is night-time background setting. That's my best take on it all.

I do get the same issue. Optimum stop seems to work, as the boiler stops before the end of the period, to take advantage of the inertia for the last period of the day that has the temp set lower. But the optimum start does not work. It keeps flashing, the flame icon is on, but the heating is not on and the temp is way below what is setup. As soon as I turn off the optimum start option, the heating comes on...

Reply to Optimum setting on Salus thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I just moved into a new house and it has a Glow Worm Compact 24c combi boiler and a ESI ESRTP4RF+ programmable room thermostat and I am wondering if it's worth turning on the optimum start and stop features? There is also something called TPI (chronoproportional control) but I'm not sure how...
Replies
Views
Hi I am somewhat confused. My daughter has a combi boiler bought 2-3 years ago and has it timed to come on in morning for an hour and at night for a few hours using "auto"? mode I had been brought up to leave boilers on manual and set the thermostat low at night to prevent pipes from...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’m writing on behalf of my elderly neighbour and hoping this is a problem someone on this forum has experience of and remedied. The boiler was not responding to the wireless thermostat. The various settings on the thermostat seemed fine and 3 heating times and temperatures were...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I keep reading about how you should use a smart thermostat. Set it to the temp to want the home to be and hey presto it takes care of itself. But realistically who does this or rather who does this work for. With mine I just use it to turn the heating on now and then for short periods...
Replies
Views
the majority of my radiators have thermostatic valves. Some of these work fine but some of them dont let you adjust the temp. ie. Setting one or setting 5 makes no difference - the radiator is blazing hot. For small bedrooms this is pain cos the room just heats up too much. we first...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock