Search the forum,

Discuss Opinions on this quote please. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

S

SamScran

Hi all,

I've been getting some plumbing quotes for an en suite project for my home (based in the east of England), and wanted to find out opinions of whether anyone thinks they're decent quotes of not?

I've already ripped out the existing vanity/loo/shower tray/screen/tiles. I've also lifted and scrapped all floor boards as I needed to alter the joists to level up the floor. So my 2.5x2.5m en suite is pretty much a shell and ready for action! So the plumbing works I need are:

• First fix en suite, to alter hot and cold supplies to basin, wc, towel rail and shower (not huge changes. We're talking small distances for new positions)
• Install shower tray and reconfigure waste pipe in to soil stack boss (simple straight run from waste to stack. No obstructions).
• Install shower valve
• Second fix en suite to fit shower bar and head, loo, basin and towel rail, on completion of tiling and floor coverings

The 2 separate quotes I've got are £2300 and £3800! I've no idea why there is such a vast difference between the two? It feels like the latter has priced himself out of the job but it's left me wondering if the former is a decent price or not?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Materials included or are you getting them ?

Remember you are paying for trades. It's not like buying the same fridge from different places and picking the cheapest. Some will be more expensive because they do a more thorough job that won't give any trouble in the future. Some charge more for time because they are more qualified and experienced at more than bathroom installations. It is difficult without seeing it, to tell you why there's such a difference. Have you asked them?
Have they (or you) been specific about the job required?
Is this labour only or materials supplied? Have they both given an indication of duration of work?
Are they providing tiling/tilers plasterers etc?

Remember you are paying for trades. It's not like buying the same fridge from different places and picking the cheapest. Some will be more expensive because they do a more thorough job that won't give any trouble in the future. Some charge more for time because they are more qualified and experienced at more than bathroom installations. It is difficult without seeing it, to tell you why there's such a difference. Have you asked them?
Is this labour only or materials supplied? Have they both given an indication of duration of work?

Many thanks for the response and I understand what you're saying. Both are quoting for labour (2-3 days in total), and materials except sanitryware and brassware (I'd expect that anyhow). Tiling is covered elsewhere as is plastering. Both quotes were for their first/second fit only.

Many thanks for the response. Totally understand what you explain. They've both quoted for labour/parts and both estimate 2-3 days for a combined 1st/2nd fit. Sanitryware and brassware I'm supplying and tiling/plastering is already sorted too.

It’s hard to say which one did you like / feel better when they came to quote ?

It’s hard to say which one did you like / feel better when they came to quote ?
Well TBH I always go with the person I get that good gut feeling with, regardless of their quote amount. I'm always willing to pay for quality work. The plumber of the lower quote does work with the electrician I've booked but I guess the base question is, considering the work of the 1st/2nd fix, does £2300 represent a fair price for parts and labour? That's why I'm asking the pros on here as I don't know if even that is too steep?

Yes sounds fair I would say around 3-5 days work depending on kit

Well TBH I always go with the person I get that good gut feeling with, regardless of their quote amount. I'm always willing to pay for quality work. The plumber of the lower quote does work with the electrician I've booked but I guess the base question is, considering the work of the 1st/2nd fix, does £2300 represent a fair price for parts and labour? That's why I'm asking the pros on here as I don't know if even that is too steep?
As a domestic customer with a one off job you are subject to the whims of supply and demand as far as price and availability to do the work are concerned. What I think is important in your circumstances is is to agree with the plumber the standard of workmanship, tolerances and finish that you are paying for. E.g., it's a lot quicker and easier to install plastic pipe and flexible tap connectors than nicely done copper with rigid connections. Make sure the system you envisage is what the plumber is planning to deliver.

Tbh it sounds quite high to me.
However if it’s working around other tradesman that one doesn’t know, it is normal to add on a bit as there are usually problems.
But we don’t know the spec, is it a simple bar valve or a concealed valve with multiple outlets for just one example.

Reply to Opinions on this quote please. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock