Search the forum,

Discuss Opinion needed - Noises from above! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi - hoping someone on the forum can give me an opinion on what the noises are from the flat above me. I live in an apartment block and at the start of 2018 came home from holiday to find staining on the roof of the two bathrooms and also on the wall of the kitchen. The agents for the flat above arranged a plumber who resealed their shower room and the sinks in both bathrooms. The stains stopped growing and dried in.

When the person in the flat above uses the hand basin in the shower room above there are noises in my flat. The agent and plumber are adamant that it cannot be drips as everything has been checked out - the fact that there are no more stains seems to back this up. The plumber has used a meter and the stains are bone dry. They think that it is just pipes expanding - the flat is about 10 years old and I assume would have plastic pipes and I'm not sure if they make noises when they expand. Anyway I've attached a 26 second video of the noises - can you give an opinion on whether you think that the noises are drips or pipes expanding or something else (you maybe can't hear it on the video but there is water running from a tap in the flat above). If it's just pipes expanding I'm not sure what I can do but if it's drips I'll need to get it fixed. Thanks for reading and any responses - this whole thing is driving me nuts!

Thanks guys...looks like expansion then. Can anything be done about that?

The recording sounds to me like 'stick-slip' friction where pipes are touching or passing through supports. Competent plumbers know when/where this is likely to occur and wrap the pipe in a sleeve of hemp insulation to avoid the problem.

It's not usually that difficult to fix. The problem will be that a landlord who got the work done on the cheap by Buffalo Bill's Plumbing and Dog-Washing Service is not going to want to pay again to have the work redone.

Think I'll just have to put up with the noise for now. The pipes would be routed behind walls so the chances of them fixing it are remote. Thanks for the answers. Gives me a bit of comfort at least it's not water dripping.

Reply to Opinion needed - Noises from above! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Got a strange grating noise when the mains water is running in a property I'm looking after. It's a ground floor flat, with a first floor flat above it, and both share the same mains water pipe, and I believe the stopcock behind the washing machine isolates all water to both properties...
Replies
Views
In our sealed Megalo system, when hot water tap is used (say in bathroom shower) the megaflo is taking in some fresh water, I guess to compensate for the water used. The incoming water go via a pressure relief valve [most likely its this one: Heatrae Sadia 8 Bar Pressure Relief Valve -...
Replies
Views
I have just moved into a flat and the water waste pipe from the flat above goes through our bathroom. And the water comes into room. I call the flat owner to say my problem but he don't interest him. I am there to find a talented plumber. Please reply me.
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock