Search the forum,

Discuss open vented heating design help in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

hi guys and gals
I'm a plumber/gas engineer with little experience in installing open vented systems I have done 3 with help in all my years (23 years) and they were standard setups, I have done hundreds of alterations to systems and repairs etc I have been mainly doing convert to combi or combi swaps with the occasional heat only boiler swap but I have landed on a fire job and they want it as it was but it had no controls just a pump and boiler (ideal mexico slim 2) under the stairs and they want an ideal mexico 18he back under the stairs, im trying not to make a cockup or design a system that isnt effective so I could do with a little help please
basically i was planning on boiler (ideal mexico he floor standing)back under the stairs and cylinder cupboard is upstairs at opposite end of the house with the f&e tank in attic directly above cylinder, then have the 3 port valve and pump under stairs at side of boiler is there any issues with this so far?

sorry for the essay guys

thanks in advance

Hi Gasman,

Interesting job from ethical point of view. Assume insurance job so they want reinstatement "as was", but . . .

If there is one thing I don't properly understand it's building control.

Surely if there are major repairs due to fire damage, is the work not subject to BCO?

Surely BCO would not approve a boiler under the stairs, even if lined with fireproof board - has that been done?

Is there anywhere else the boiler could go?

For the rest, think carefully about how the air gets out the system on filling, and during use.

Cheers,

Roy (amateur)

You need to upgrade to current standards of controls and safety’s as your putting a new boiler in so have to bring it upto current regs

building control are not involved.
the stairs are not lined with fireproof board, I didnt think it was an issue tbh but it is somthing I will look into.

my concerns are provided I can safely put boiler under stairs, can I use a combined return and does it matter which order i connect the returns from water and heating? I feel it matters but I'm not 100% sure on the best practice.

I may be over complicating things is it any better to have the pump and 3 port in airing cupboard upstairs or doesnt it matter.
sorry for sounding dumb but I want to get it right 1st time also the job has been dropped on me and it's not my general area of work.

any help or advice is welcomed and appreciated, thanks in advance.

building control are not involved.
the stairs are not lined with fireproof board, I didnt think it was an issue tbh but it is somthing I will look into.

my concerns are provided I can safely put boiler under stairs, can I use a combined return and does it matter which order i connect the returns from water and heating? I feel it matters but I'm not 100% sure on the best practice.

I may be over complicating things is it any better to have the pump and 3 port in airing cupboard upstairs or doesnt it matter.
sorry for sounding dumb but I want to get it right 1st time also the job has been dropped on me and it's not my general area of work.

any help or advice is welcomed and appreciated, thanks in advance.

How are you registering the boiler if not with gas safe also benchmark asks for this information as well ?

How are you registering the boiler if not with gas safe also benchmark asks for this information as well ?
I will be registering the boiler with gas safe as usual, when I said building control arent involved I meant like any usual job they are not coming on site and checking anything or overseeing anything other than when I register boiler

Reply to open vented heating design help in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock