Search the forum,

Discuss Old Stopcock on Lead 1/2" ~ 3/4" in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Stanios

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Encountered this old stopcock, male threads both ends attached to female fittings that are welded onto lead pipe both ends. Looked like 1/2", took it off, closer to 3/4" but quite a bit smaller than 3/4" still.. Photo is not of that stopcock but looks exactly the same (forgot to take a snap)
Took off the headgear bit I've done this before but new innards from new stopcock didnt quite fit.

So option 1 is to get exact replacement. Option 2 get any "old style" stopcock take the top bit off and swap. Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-06-22 at 18.21.00.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-06-22 at 18.21.00.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 28
Had a similar issue a few years ago, you can't get new parts for these anywhere. I also asked on here, best advice I got was go to local scrap merchants and check out the brass bins for spares.
With mine the handle had snapped off so couldn't just fix it. What's wrong with it, not fixable?

Encountered this old stopcock, male threads both ends attached to female fittings that are welded onto lead pipe both ends. Looked like 1/2", took it off, closer to 3/4" but quite a bit smaller than 3/4" still.. Photo is not of that stopcock but looks exactly the same (forgot to take a snap)
Took off the headgear bit I've done this before but new innards from new stopcock didnt quite fit.

So option 1 is to get exact replacement. Option 2 get any "old style" stopcock take the top bit off and swap. Any help would be much appreciated!
It will most likely be on 1/2" x 6, or 7, or 9 etc. (1/2" bore and weighs so many pounds per yard). Depends on pressure.
What's the issue with it?

Install a new one and lead lock it either side

Had a similar issue a few years ago, you can't get new parts for these anywhere. I also asked on here, best advice I got was go to local scrap merchants and check out the brass bins for spares.
With mine the handle had snapped off so couldn't just fix it. What's wrong with it, not fixable?

Water leaking out. I stripped it and chucked all the ptfe it could handle leak is no more but its hardly a functioning stopcock. Looks like I'l have to fit two leadlocks!

Reply to Old Stopcock on Lead 1/2" ~ 3/4" in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock