Search the forum,

Discuss Old Stop Tap Leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MikeB

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread, it's my first post.
My stopcock is leaking around the spindle. I've watched a couple of youtube videos about repairing the leak but my tap doesn't seem to be the right type, it looks ancient and I can't see a gland nut on it. The tap spindle looks like it just goes in to the tap housing and if there is a nut it's corroded so much it's become one with the housing.
Is there any way to fix this easily or will the tap need replacing? It's in a really awkward place. Apologies for the poor photo, it's hard to get a good angle because of the positioning.

DSC_0020.JPG

Can only guess without a better pic.
If it's going on to lead then it will be imperial and you won't get spare parts for it.
There looks like a bit of a hexagon shape behind the handle, is that not the gland nut?

It might be the gland nut but it's not hexagonal it's more like 10 or 12 sided and it's the same size as the housing below it.

That's the (Nut) that removes the complete workings of the tap, if you can turn off the water from outside, & you can get the old tap apart, if your lucky the inner parts from a new stopcock will be a straight change over

Well I showed it to the landlord and he didn't seem concerned. Said he'd call his plumber mate but told me not to "hold my breath" and expect anything. In the meantime I've stuck some plumbers epoxy around the leak and that seems to have helped a bit.

At a guess from your photo, I'm going to say that is the gland nut and that instead of pushing the stuffing directly, it sits on top of a collar that pushes the stuffing. Posh or what? Old stuffing could be asbestos string type and, whatever type it is, possibly clogged with limescale so won't work properly. Sometimes it's easier to just laugh off the existing stopcock and fit a new quarter-turn valve downstream of it.

Personally I wouldn't worry - it'll probably seize and then it won't leak. You won't have a stopcock but if your landlord can't be bothered to maintain his property it's his house that will get flooded (and you'd have a counterclaim if your belongings got wet). I'd just make him aware in writing and let him get on with it. Under the ?1985 Housing Act the landlord is obliged to maintain the structure of the property, so ball's in his court - I wouldn't even touch it apart from turning it on and off as if it goes wrong you become responsible by meddling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old Stop Tap Leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock