Search the forum,

Discuss Old stopcock gland nut – unusual & stuck in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi – can’t turn this nut with serrated edges. Tried big pliers & gave stilsons a gentle go – but to no avail.
Since brushed it clean & found it’s chewed up a bit. What’s the best tool & process before I damage it further?

It’s dripping from spindle when shut off tight but trickling when open. Believe I can cure by re-packing.

Prepared to go slow route & manage without water for a time to avoid point-of-no-return. Can't identify the right tool. Thinking about tapping gently with hammers daily for a bit. Stopped using Plusgas in case that’s damaging the packing & leak gets worse before nut budges.

I'd prep'd it by soaking in Plusgas overnight because tap hadn't been touched in years & encrusted. So spindle turned fine & has shut off water when tightened off hard – but developed leak.

Grateful for your help – regards

IMG_20201126_145250215a.jpgIMG_20201126_145154013a.jpg

Do you not have a severn trent Stopcock in the street? Many properties have one just outside.

Hi – can’t turn this nut with serrated edges. Tried big pliers & gave stilsons a gentle go – but to no avail.
Since brushed it clean & found it’s chewed up a bit. What’s the best tool & process before I damage it further?

It’s dripping from spindle when shut off tight but trickling when open. Believe I can cure by re-packing.

Prepared to go slow route & manage without water for a time to avoid point-of-no-return. Can't identify the right tool. Thinking about tapping gently with hammers daily for a bit. Stopped using Plusgas in case that’s damaging the packing & leak gets worse before nut budges.

I'd prep'd it by soaking in Plusgas overnight because tap hadn't been touched in years & encrusted. So spindle turned fine & has shut off water when tightened off hard – but developed leak.

Grateful for your help – regards

View attachment 46410View attachment 46411
I had one like this - in the end I replaced the whole valve. Once removed I tried Stilsons again and as I expected would happen the top flange sheared off. You could try heat but the washer will suffer as well

Do you not have a severn trent Stopcock in the street? Many properties have one just outside.
There’ll be one – this place was fairly isolated for years but there’s about 30 houses gone up & a business – water’s changed a lot. I could have one myself or one that affects a lot of people.

I'd try mole grips first, if that doesn't work I'd file two flats and use a spanner.
I’m tempted. I’m getting two 10” pliers delivered though – one with teeth. Till then I’m gently tapping round the nut & front of the box with 2 hammers – beating together on opposite sides for 45mins a day. Hope to gradually disturb that seal.

That look so like the innards have been changed before, if you’re able to isolate externally, you could opt for changing again?

Isolate outside then wind out the guts, using the square section just above the tap body. Then you can play about with it to your hearts content, workbench/vice soak in oil etc. If you get it working - good . If not wind the guts in from a new tap.

There’ll be one – this place was fairly isolated for years but there’s about 30 houses gone up & a business – water’s changed a lot. I could have one myself or one that affects a lot of people.
Find yours and the jobs as good as done.

I had one like this - in the end I replaced the whole valve. Once removed I tried Stilsons again and as I expected would happen the top flange sheared off. You could try heat but the washer will suffer as well
That's the trouble – can't do anything rough to it unless the water's off. Did you find the part alright?
[automerge]1606594248[/automerge]
That look so like the innards have been changed before, if you’re able to isolate externally, you could opt for changing again?
If I can get parts to fit. It’s not been changed in the last 36 years.
[automerge]1606595460[/automerge]
Isolate outside then wind out the guts, using the square section just above the tap body. Then you can play about with it to your hearts content, workbench/vice soak in oil etc. If you get it working - good . If not wind the guts in from a new tap.
Thanks – daren’t try to unwind it & finding parts to fit worries me. In that case the main thing is seeing about getting it isolated & someone to look at it.
[automerge]1606595692[/automerge]
Find yours and the jobs as good as done.
Thank you – I'll find out.

Last edited:

Reply to Old stopcock gland nut – unusual & stuck in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock