Search the forum,

Discuss Old skool plumbing part 2 Leadwork lead burning/ welding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ecowarm

I have uploaded a video to youtube, sorry no talking as I'm working. You will see a couple of times I burn a hole, if ths happens, leave it move on to another bit and come back when its cooled. Hope you enjoy the video its just me working, doing what I do. Please excuse the singing and whistling, didn't know I was doing it! I'm making a roof vent, it's Peter Scholey's design aka justlead1 and some of you will know I have been doing justlead's work while peter is taking time out after a major operation.
DSC_3297edita.jpg

http://youtu.be/2uCxyYxf2pM New link

SORRY give me a few mins got to edit its too long:(

EDIT, MMMMMM youtube removed my video MMMMMMM uploading again.

New link above its working

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to like lead burning but roofers seam to do all the lead work now days amazing what they can do with flash band Honest lol

buy the way you video was removed for being to long it says

I used to enjoy lead burning, bossing et-al.
Didn't do enough of it to become proficient but it does look good when done well.

Where I used to live, expanding foam and a fillet of mortar were the rule.

It 16 mins long and have upgraded account so I can have vids of more than 15mins but in the meantime my vid has disapeared.

Its now uploading again, I could swear but I won't steveb

I see you do the herring bone weld, I do the dished dots and use a size 3 nozzle on my portapak welder. Great post mate, will show some of the newbies what "real" plumbing is about. We were taught a great many disciplines like leadwork, cast iron, solder wiping and plumbing with no plastic and flexi pipes. Ah the good old days!

I enjoyed lead at college, have never done it since though so wouldn't be good enough to charge for my efforts!

Never seen a wiped joint done though!

Nice job that and you make it look so easy if you are in touch with Peter or his family please pass on our best wishes for a speedy recovery best regards turnpin
icon7.png

Nice job that and you make it look so easy if you are in touch with Peter or his family please pass on our best wishes for a speedy recovery best regards turnpin
icon7.png

Yes I'm in touch with him and will pass on your best wishes.

Excellent vid Ecowarm, nice looking slate piece/vent you've made up there.

Please also convey my regards to Peter and his family. I bet he's desperate to get back to work after being out for so long. Long terms away from work drives me nuts!

Will do system3, the lead vent in the vid heading your way EH6 it'll be there in the morning

Good to see a pro at it ecowarm :) ... Dodgy radio going on in the background though ... you relax into phone-ins often ..:lol:

I'm gonna have to google Jeremy Vine! Heard the name but can't put a face to it :)

New video uploading to youtube tonight- Marking out chimney front aprons and later lead burning them. Keep you posted when on. More suggestions welcome for things to come.

Would love to do a lead wiped joint, did welding /bossing at college,but never tought wiping,lead locks have a lot to answer for! Any one out there willing to teach?

the last lead job I did was only 13 and half tonne small job really took 3 months and why is it allways middle of winter when these jobs come about Eh!
do miss doing it but vertigo seen me off in the end and all the bay windows are poxy fibre glass or plastic nowdays
what ever happened to plumbers weather proofing buildings we used to glase and lead /gutters etc all gone now .
was a Propper job then

Just curious, do you dress the lead over a wooden tilting fillet then return the edge over, so that the slates go over this? That's the way it's done up here and I've seen different methods in parts of the UK.

Great video by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old skool plumbing part 2 Leadwork lead burning/ welding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I've been running an UFH installation/ repair business for 7 years now and one of my main frustrations is finding the parts for the UFH. I've got quite good at it over the years being able to recognise the manifold brand and generation by just looking at it but then I have to go through...
Replies
Views
Problem in video link View: https://youtu.be/efrhhYhhquk Does it when we turn bath taps on or shower either whilst the hot water is on or recently heated. I'm not 100% sure need to figure that out. Havent heard it do it with any other taps in the property. We have an unvented hot water...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all, I live in a first floor maisonette property and have been experiencing a loud and unusual banging noise coming from below our bathroom, or at least that'where it sounds like it's coming from. The layout of the flat below is exactly the same as ours, so our neighbour's bathroom is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I would be grateful for advice regarding how I can recharge a water hammer arrestor. Background: Just over 2 and a half years ago the old gravity system in my medium sized 3 bed semi was converted to a pressure combi-boiler system by British Gas. Immediately after this I experienced water...
Replies
Views
K
I'd really appreciate some help with this. I don't really know what I'm doing as far as plumbing goes and I can't really afford to call a plumber out at the moment. The problem I have is that there's a leak under my sink. I have one of those swivel taps and it's been loose for a while. I...
Replies
Views
kissinger
K
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock