Search the forum,

Discuss Old sewer pipe fitting for rodding access in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, I have sewer pipe with a rodding access point that dates from the 1950s. It is a cast iron pipe with a brass plug/cap (see photo). My question is: is there a special tool/spanner for opening this? Many thanks.

IMG_3623.jpg

Normally I would say a flat bar over the lug on the left and under the lug on the right as per the photo however urge you wait to see what others say and the danger (if any) of opening that pipe up.

There's a good chance it's solid why do you need to get in ?

I want to get in because there is a partial blockage. Water is backing up a bit, but does drain away after a few hours. (There is a unused toilet waste outlet that I can open and look down.)

Flat bar but good luck it's going to be a pain to open

If you can best to get a camera put down the drain first to see where the problem is

Start by wire brushing around the joint then liberal amount of a good penetrating oil for a few weeks then might need heat around the pipe (not the plug!) providing you can use heat there safely of course.
Slowly slowly catchy monkey approach.

Normally I would say a flat bar over the lug on the left and under the lug on the right as per the photo
I'd also put a strap wrench around the the collar to ensure that when you try to unscrew the cap you don't torque the entire length and break the weakest joint, which Murphy's Law guarantees will be the least accessible.

I'd treat removing that cap as a last resort. I think it'll be difficult to remove without damage and/or mess.

Reply to Old sewer pipe fitting for rodding access in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock