Search the forum,

Discuss Old radiator and no key, how do i bleed or just replace? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a very old radiator for which we cannot find a key for. It desperately needs bleeding, any ideas on how I can do it or is it time for a new radiator?

Attachments

• 20200211_145915.jpg
    20200211_145915.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 29
Try a Brass one like this, the end is a smaller diameter;

The typical soft alloy ones are too big;

Some brass have larger ends and would be too big as well;

Looks like a removable complete air vent anyhow, (I copied and magnified image) so should be possible to just replace the lot if it screws out with a socket of correct size.

Alladin Easy bleed, where you drill a new hole and it cuts it`s own thread? Hasten to add that I`ve never used one myself.

I have a very old radiator for which we cannot find a key for. It desperately needs bleeding, any ideas on how I can do it or is it time for a new radiator?

Hello Courtenaym90, ,

As Member rpm suggested - If You want to try and avoid damaging the existing air vent / having to replace the Radiator try one of these self drilling Easibleed radiator air vents:

As you have a single panel radiator which these are designed for you just screw it into the top front of a radiator using a cordless drill and a 10mm socket / socket bar.

THIS IS NOT IN THE FITTING INSTRUCTIONS - JUST MY SUGGESTION - BUT PLEASE DECIDE ON THIS YOURSELF:

Although these are self drilling [as in self tappers]
and as Member rpm mentioned - I would be tempted to pre drill a very small hole [much smaller than the tip of the air vent] just to locate the tip of the vent when drilling it into the front of the Radiator.

The bleed valve / air vent will not get 100% of the air out from the top of the radiator but it should enable it to get hot enough to not be a problem.

I hope that this helps.

Chris
[automerge]1581966278[/automerge]
Alladin Easy bleed, where you drill a new hole and it cuts it`s own thread? Hasten to add that I`ve never used one myself.

My Apology rpm -

I did not notice that You had already posted a suggestion for the Easibleed Radiator vents when I was typing my message to the OP.

Chris

Last edited:

Reply to Old radiator and no key, how do i bleed or just replace? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I am looking to bleed the radiators in my rented flat as winter is now starting to kick in and want things to work as efficiently as possible. Some advice says use a flat head screwdriver but there is not a groove in them to be able to use one. So I bought a radiator bleed key...
Replies
Views
Hi, I seem to have lost a bleed nipple from one of my rads somehow. It’s a double rad, one side of the rad has a nipple, the other is gone and I need to bleed it to stop the bubbling noise. How can I fix this please? Is it possible to buy a new one and if so how do I know what to ask for...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
have a mixture of radiators range between 25 & 60 years old.Im having a new boiler fitted, do I change all the rads or just the old ones? Cheers
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock