Search the forum,

Discuss Old radiator and no key, how do i bleed or just replace? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a very old radiator for which we cannot find a key for. It desperately needs bleeding, any ideas on how I can do it or is it time for a new radiator?

Attachments

• 20200211_145915.jpg
    20200211_145915.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 28
Most rad keys for some reason are bevelled. If you file i,t so no bevel edge is visible you will probably find it will fit. Make sure you clean the paint out first. good luck

Try a Brass one like this, the end is a smaller diameter;

The typical soft alloy ones are too big;

Some brass have larger ends and would be too big as well;

Looks like a removable complete air vent anyhow, (I copied and magnified image) so should be possible to just replace the lot if it screws out with a socket of correct size.

Alladin Easy bleed, where you drill a new hole and it cuts it`s own thread? Hasten to add that I`ve never used one myself.

I have a very old radiator for which we cannot find a key for. It desperately needs bleeding, any ideas on how I can do it or is it time for a new radiator?

Hello Courtenaym90, ,

As Member rpm suggested - If You want to try and avoid damaging the existing air vent / having to replace the Radiator try one of these self drilling Easibleed radiator air vents:

As you have a single panel radiator which these are designed for you just screw it into the top front of a radiator using a cordless drill and a 10mm socket / socket bar.

THIS IS NOT IN THE FITTING INSTRUCTIONS - JUST MY SUGGESTION - BUT PLEASE DECIDE ON THIS YOURSELF:

Although these are self drilling [as in self tappers]
and as Member rpm mentioned - I would be tempted to pre drill a very small hole [much smaller than the tip of the air vent] just to locate the tip of the vent when drilling it into the front of the Radiator.

The bleed valve / air vent will not get 100% of the air out from the top of the radiator but it should enable it to get hot enough to not be a problem.

I hope that this helps.

Chris
[automerge]1581966278[/automerge]
Alladin Easy bleed, where you drill a new hole and it cuts it`s own thread? Hasten to add that I`ve never used one myself.

My Apology rpm -

I did not notice that You had already posted a suggestion for the Easibleed Radiator vents when I was typing my message to the OP.

Chris

Last edited:

Reply to Old radiator and no key, how do i bleed or just replace? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock