Search the forum,

Discuss Old plastic/ rubber pipe and compatible fitting? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, a stopcock has seized and I need to replace it but the pipe is an unusual rubber/ plastic material. It’s approximately an inch ID. Has anyone got any advice for replacement compatible fittings? Will it need inserts etc?
Thanks in advance and some pics below.
EB6A2AC7-2CFD-40C7-AF8F-F22495563187.jpeg
137CBA1A-DF46-41AB-BEB1-51FECB152416.jpeg

In the early 80's all materials supplying underground services were black, gas, water pipes, electrical ducting were all the same colour. This caused lots of problems when roads were dug up to access underground services as due to their similar appearances, it was almost impossible to identify what was what and mistakes were commonplace, with people cutting into the wrong pipe.
Thankfully, colour coding came into place and gas pipe became yellow, and water pipe became blue.
There are differences in the outside diameters between alkathene and modern mdpe, but there are universal adapters available with the best (in my opinion), being the Philmac range. These have adapters that fit just about everything including alkathene and lead pipe.
Information is in the link below, should you want to take a screenshot of it and take it along to your local plumbers merchants.

Reply to Old plastic/ rubber pipe and compatible fitting? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

T
Hi We urgently need to get our h/w cylinder replaced because it's leaking. Our current system is oil boiler feeding underfloor downstairs, radiators upstairs and an unvented hot water cylinder for hot water. We are thinking of moving to a heat pump at some point but aren't ready to do this. My...
Replies
Views
Afternoon all, It appears my toilet inlet pipe has developed a leak at on of the top 2 joints (between plastic pipe into toilet and between copper pipe with isolator screw) I'll attach pic. Just wondering what the fitting is that I need. Thanks, G
Replies
Views
Good afternoon fellow plumbers I’m new to this site, I’m just after some advice please. So I have a customer who needs his old stopcock replacing, it’s black pipe coming up into the stopcock and then 15mm after, the black pipe is actually screwed to the bottom of the stopcock, I assume the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some help on this shower drain installation. I’m about to install a corner shower kit in my basement bathroom. But I just found out the shower drain is actually extruded from the bottom of the shower base and I have concrete floor with the drain pipe rough in. I have the drain pipe...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock