Search the forum,

Discuss Old joints are leaking, sealed with hemp - dried out ? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, I am new to this forum and have a question about some old plumbing around a hot water cylinder. The hot water cylinder wasn't used for 14 years and all pipes were drained. Turned the water to the hot water cylinder on and it seems that all joints on the copper tubing around the cylinder are leaking. Could it be that the hemp dried out after 14 years not having any pressure on it ? Also the Anti-scald temperature regulator is spitting water out at the top where the temperature can be regulated. Do we actually need an Anti-scald temperature regulator in NZ or can I take it out ? There are no kids in the house hold and no elderly people. Thanks for your help. cheers, steve

Last edited:
Tbh if it hasn’t been used for 14 years I would look at getting a new one installed

Reply to Old joints are leaking, sealed with hemp - dried out ? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock