Search the forum,

Discuss Old brass taps have broken HOT insert in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a really nice pair of old brass taps. Unscrewing the cap shows a hand holding a small dumbbell with ‘DUMB’ and ‘BELL’ either side of it on one of the six faces, and ‘TESTED 1936’ on another (also on the body of the tap although worn and so not clear there). Just below where the tap would sit flush on the sink is a ‘C’.

Unfortunately the HOT insert was broken so I’ve bought another one (7/8 inch, so a fraction over 22mm) that doesn’t quite fit :mad: because it’s slightly too big. I might try to run the brass tap heads under the hot tap but I’m not sure that would expand them enough so the new insert would fit. Even if it does fit, I’m not going to be able to get the insert out again (I was assuming I’d have to glue it in to stop it flopping around).

Taps shown in image, plus the top of the tap with the broken insert - there's no way of screwing the new insert in that I can see.

Any thoughts people? I don’t actually have a particular use for the tap (it won’t fit in my existing sinks). I’ve seen very similar taps on sale from suppliers for over £200, so rather than me messing it up altogether, it might be better to contact them and ask whether they’d buy it as is.

Advice gratefully received

Arthur

Attachments

• IMAG0217.jpg
    IMAG0217.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMAG0219.jpg
    IMAG0219.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 8

Reply to Old brass taps have broken HOT insert in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock