Search the forum,

Discuss Old ash box - asbestos? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks
I've taken out an old Potterton back boiler
It was standing on a sheet of asbestos cement board, so have removed that

Underneath is an old cast iron underfloor draught as box. It was filled with rubble and ash - I gather blocking these up was a requirement when fitting a gas fire.

I need to remove the iron ash box as it is in the way of bricking up the opening etc.
The box is, understandably, insulated. Surrounded by what looks like white glass fibre.

Guessing a few people will have encountered this before.
Is it usually found to be asbestos?
(I realise testing is the only way to be sure and will be treating it as if it is asbestos until known)

Thanks

Attachments

• 20191201_152158.jpg
    20191201_152158.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20191201_154226.jpg
    20191201_154226.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 17
I would get yourself some heavy duty black plastic bags, a face mask, and some long marigolds. Really wet the white stuff and keep it wet. Use the plastic bag like picking up dog poo and using the bag as a barrier and scoop up by hand into the bag. Then reverse the bag over the stuff and seal with gaffer tape. Repeat until clear take to the council tip which will take sealed up 'asbestos' . I doubt its dangerous as you think
this is what we have done for years (61) centralheatking or you could put a blow torch at it ... an in joke about me on PF.

Thanks centralheatking - so you reckon it probably is asbestos?
It feels like it has a fairly consistent woolly texture, as opposed to spun out of fibrous rock, but I've not encountered the stuff before.

Reply to Old ash box - asbestos? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock