Search the forum,

Discuss okay a question for any one thats gas safe (boiler). in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

becky4

okay so a question for all you engineer's....if you were to fit a boiler in a house where a family lived would they have to leave the house for hour's while you do so?

we are having trouble with our landlord,we havent had heating or hot water for a while now and it's really frustrating as my landlord always thinks he's right. i know the answer to my question is proberly no. but i thought i may check any way because you can never be to sure. and im not a 100% on leaving all of our belongings in a house while to strange men fit a boiler in it thanks for any reply's Becky.

I Have never fitted a boiler into someones house when there has not been someone there, and personally wouldn't like to because if anything goes missing for any reason the first finger pointed would be in my direction. What reason Did your landlord give that he insists on you leaving while the installation is fitted.

well i don't fully trust my landlord anyway.
he said it's for our own safety and because the gas electric and water will all be turned off, i said to him okay my partner will be at work ill drop my daughter off at my moms for a couple of hours and then ill let the "boiler man" and landlord in to do the work he just text me saying he spoke to the "boiler man" and he said it's impossible to fit one while anyones there and he will come her and bring the boiler and wait for the boiler man.
i said to him if it's all done legally and safely with a gas safe installer there shouldnt be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alarm bells ringing...Although this is from your point of view your not an arsey tennant are you lol.

well i don't fully trust my landlord anyway.

Why not? Has he been deceitful or are you just suspicious?

P.s I'm not gas safe i know how it works though. just my opinion anyway.

yeah exactley thats why i thought ild try and find out abit more first, nope nothink like that.
he's in area's with his mortage and wants us out by the 16th of january so why fit a new boiler now if he's thinking about selling us and why want us out of the house if it isnt needed. i think im just a carefull person you need to be when you have kids thats my excuse.
and i can be arsey if need be.

Aye I know what you mean. So he's gonna sell but install a boiler? Your moving on the 16th of january? I'm confused dude lol

I would never "ask" a homeowner or renter to leave the house. Also if you are having a new boiler installed you can ask for the installers Gas Safe card. If they refuse to show it to you then you should contact the gas board. Your landlord is also required to have all gas and electrical appliances tested every year. The landlord is required by law to provide the renter a copy of the Landlord Certificate report with the Gas Safe number of the engineer. If you have not had the appliances inspected you should request an immediate inspection. The boiler would need to have a Landlord Certificate completed at the time of commissioning. Don't accept anything less.

thank you i shall bear this in mind, does this include a certificate for any work thats carried out?

"wheres the leak? By the pump? yeah gonna have to ask you to step outside in the snow for four hours sorry ma'am....Yeah this is normal, take one bag of belongings only please dont take all day....wheres the kettle by the way?"

Yes, any new work must be carry a Landlord Certificate. If you are unsure about the install or if the landlord refuses to provide you with the documents then contact Gas Safe.

If you have heating and hot water and a current gas safety inspection report and have no reason or concern to think there is a problem with the boiler,tell the land lord,as a gesture of good will, you will drop children off at your mothers,so they will not get in the way or have any accident and that you realise water and gas will be off,(there is no reason for all the power supply to be turned off)and allow access for the boiler replacement over a given amount of time, however tell him you will be present,this way you are not breaking any access agreement you have,he however has no right to request vacant access for the works to be carried out,even if he did,he would have to provide agreeable alternative accommodation for you for that day
You may wish to discuss any compensation, should the boiler replacement take longer than agreed or operation of new boiler incorrect resulting to lose of heating or hot water for a extended period

imho

sounds to me like your landlord doesnt want you to meet his gas engineer. hmmm id say he was plannin on doin the work him self. just go out and come back mid afternoon as a suprise and see if his gas engineer is real. ive never told any of my customers to leave the house whilst im doing an install, i just work around them. as long as they have running water to drink they dont mind and neither do i. and as for his engineer (possibly made up) saying you gotta go for safety reasons, how on earth does a customer not being there make the job any more safer?

Yes, any new work must be carry a Landlord Certificate. If you are unsure about the install or if the landlord refuses to provide you with the documents then contact Gas Safe.

new work does not require a landlords certificate, the boiler will only require to be included in the LGSC when it is 1 yr old, the gas carcass and existing appliances must have a current certificate and it is up to the landlord how he aligns the new boiler to the existing ones when the existing cert expires (either by adding the boiler before it is due, or getting the boiler done when it is a yr old, not the best as it requires 2 tests every yr, better to go with 1st option and include the boiler early and keep everything aligned, but not required on the day of install)

Hi Becky4 I smell a rat ,what you landlord is doing is probably illegal, I have never in my life told a customer they have to leave the property when changing a boiler as it is usually a days work, Personally I would tell him to get stuffed its not your problem he is debt if you dont have heating and hot water stop the rent end of story,regarding the boiler change ,take a photo of the bloke doing the job and check its the same block on the gas safe register, and if not alarm bells will ring, regarding him wanting you out on 16th of january ,if that suits you move if not stay there for a few months rent free as the only way he can get you out is taking you to court which can take months, good luck

As Obseen has said, sounds like your landlord wants to do the boiler himself, on a side note it is much less stressfull doing work in a house when no one is in I much prefer it. Most of my work is done when there is none in as people have to go to work etc etc, sometimes youve just got to trust people.
In your case though it does sound dodgy.

i hate dodgy landlords worse than the stuff that comes out of the back of dogs, i always make a point of charging them more if possible

i once had a right horrible landlord, i felt really sorry for the poor lass that was renting from him, he wanted me to fit this horrible cheap and VERY undersized boiler for the house, i told him it wont do the job properly and he replied i dont give a sh*t i wont be the one living there.

My reply was "well i wont be installing it then!"

some landlords are just in it for the money, most are nice enough tho.

Last edited:
its funny when the shoe is on the other foot I do like to rub it in lol

might want you out quicker so by removing your boiler and not fitting a new one he can say you got no leccy heating hot water so you carnt move back in,could be wrong but thats how ad read it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to okay a question for any one thats gas safe (boiler). in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock