Search the forum,

Discuss Ok to leave thinset around copper pipe? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

I had a history at my home with the oring failing on my tub spout leading to water leaking through the pipe opening in the wall. I had put new o-rings but for extra precaution I sealed up the space around the pipe with thinset.

This was about 10 months ago.

Now I’m wondering if long term this might cause an issue to the copper pipe, through wear or pinholes or stress.

Q: What are the risks? Am I ok to leave this as-is or should I go about removing the thinset? If you recommend removing, any tips to soften it or do I just carefully chisel away?

The product I used was Laticrete Premium Multi-Mastic Adhesive.
B17027C7-BDDA-4D27-86ED-AB0B6463CB73.jpeg
FB60DD65-35B4-441F-982C-AC93AFC4B9A2.jpeg
image.jpg

You will be fine it’s cement that’s bad for copper grout / silicon is fine

Ahh perfect. Good to hear.

And seemingly no concern that the pipe isn’t free to move as the house shifts/expands during the seasons?

Same as the tiles and tub it’s one of them if it’s moving that much you’ve got bigger things to think about

Reply to Ok to leave thinset around copper pipe? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked very corroded around the tap handle. An Anglian Water engineer was at the property measuring my water pressure and flow rate. When he saw the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a leak on the live side of one of my rads, in the GF loo. Its a condensing combi system, the house is only 5 years old, so fairly new. The leak is at the bottom compression fitting on the lockshield rad valve. The rad is a chromed steel towel rail, and the valve is brass/copper, the...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, a couple of months back I installed a new shower and sink into a part of the house that hadn't previously been plumbed in. This forced me to run some pipes outside the walls, so I put in stopcocks at the point where the new pipework joins the old Just In Case. I used copper pipe and...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with elbows), the last cm before the open end is pretty much straight, but as a result of the bend it is not perfectly round. I mean it is pretty much...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock